I Have Two Hard Lumps on my Abdomen 7 Weeks After Lipo - What Can I Do to Minimize Them and is This Normal?

i had liposuction on my stomach 7 week ago and my skin has 2 hard lumps that give my abs a wavy appearance .my surgeon told me i have thin skin and that one of the lumps look like its developing into scar tissue. he recomended lymphatic drainage massage. is this normal and will it go away

Lumps After Liposuction?

This is normal in al likelihood and will go away.  You can massage them.  Your doctor could try dilute steroid injections. Ultrasound may help.  Time is the best cure.  Massage, with time, I suggest for another couple of months.  See you surgeon for support and help.  Good luck

PHOTO: Lumps after Lipo on abdomen

AT 7 weeks, you have just completed the proliferative phase of wound healing and firmness and irregularities are not uncommon. Massage, ultrasound and MLD may help expedite scar maturation. I have found that these are often due to folds in improper compression garment wear or waistbands. IF this is the case you may be better off avoiding all compression to the area.

Lumps after belly liposuction

I agree with the other surgeons who have given their thoughts on this problem.  I would advise you to perform aggressive massage three times daily to these areas and continue to wear a binder or girdle throughout the day.  Often these "lumps" or contour abnormalities will go away or get considerably smaller over time.  Continue to follow up with your surgeon because the "final" results after liposuction take awhile (3-6 months) and you may still undergo considerable changes and may eventually end up without any problems.

That said, if you continue to have these irregular lumps after waiting and massaging, then those areas are more likely to stay around.  Consult with a plastic surgeon about ways to treat those areas that do not completely resolve.  Often, additional "touch-up" liposuction or fat grafting to depressed areas may be necessary to improve the results.

Hope this helps

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Need to rule out seromas after liposuction.

Hi.

I would suggest a sonogram as soon as possible . If you have a seroma (fluid collection), it needs to be aspirated promptly. Time is important because, ignored seromas eventually become permanent scar tissue.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Hard lumps post liposuction

Hello. This is common to occur post liposuction. Try massaging the area to help reduce hardness. This should work if not, contact your surgeon for evaluation. Best of luck.

Jaime Perez, MD

Two lumps from liposcution

The two lumps you have may be fat necrosis, or seroma flud, to name a few things.  You may be better off massaging the area and giving it time to heal. Follow closely with your surgeon.

Liposuction lumps

These will often resolve with massaging and time.  I would expect that they would be consideraly softer in 3 to 4 months.

Pramit Malhotra, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

Massage, massage, more massage. Otherwise allow healing for 3 months than have a touch up. From MIami Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Bulge after liposuction

Temporary lumps can form after liposuction due to swelling, retained fat or seroma.  Each cause would have a different treatment.  Since you are just 7 weeks out, it may just be swelling.  When you are swollen, clothes, positioning, etc can cause indentations in the swollen tissue.  If it is just swelling, then it will resolve over time.  Retained fat would need to be suctioned out at a later date.  You should not progress with any types of revision or secondary surgery until at least 6 months after the original surgery.  If it is a seroma (fluid collection) your surgeon should be able to diagnosis this in the office and drain it with a syringe.  

Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

I Have Two Hard Lumps on my Abdomen 7 Weeks After Lipo - What Can I Do to Minimize Them and is This Normal

Thank you for submitting your question. Swelling after liposuction will last for many weeks after surgery. Hard lumpy areas are common in the first several weeks after lipo but rest assurred they will dissapate in 6-12 weeks. Final results take 6-12 months. Hard lumpy areas could be fat necrosis, localized areas of swelling and bruising, lymphedema, etc. Continue to use your contour garment, massage the lumpy areas , external ultrasound and lymphatic massage will help to decrease swelling. Discuss your concerns with your Plastic surgeon