Pain Medication Injected into Abdominal Muscle During Tummy Tuck?

I've heard that there is a pain medication that is injected into the abdominal muscles during a tummy tuck and lasts 72 hours. What is it called? Is it commonly used by surgeons?

Exparel for 72 Hour Pain Relief after Tummy Tuck

+1

Exparel can be injected at the time of closure for 72 hour pain relief.  This can add several hundred dollars to the cost.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com

Exparel and Tummy Tuck

+1

Exparel is a long acting local anesthetic that can be used with tummy tucks.  It lasts approximately 72 hours.  It can be expensive but if this is something that you are interested in, I would talk to my surgeon and see if they are willing to use it.

Exparel after tummy tuck

+1

The new medication is a form of bupivicaine (marcaine) which we have used to reduce the need for pain medication after the procedure. The result can vary though this long acting local can work up to 72 hours. Definitely something to ask about.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/tummy-tuck

+1

Injections with local anesthetics are frequently injected into the abdominal muscles via the anterior rectus sheath. This helps with postoperative pain whether the 24 or 72 hr solution is used.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Exparel injected in surgery decreases tummy tuck pain for 3 days

+1

I love Exparel and have been using it since it came out on the market around 6 months ago. My first patient drove herself back to the office the day after surgery to show us something about her dressing. Imagine our shock when she comfortably strolled in! Not everyone has such a complete block, but it cuts the pain by at least half. The drug is not cheap, one vial is around $400 or so, but worth it. I tell patients to remember to take it easy, you forget that you should be relaxing when you have so much less pain! It works great for Breast augmentation (submuscular) as well.

Ways to minimize pain after a tummy tuck

+1

Minimizing pain after a tummy tuck is very important in my practice.  This is typically done with oral pain medicine after the procedure, but I also inject numbing medicine into the muscles during the procedure.  This medicine is called marcaine and it's great at minimizing pain immediately after the procedure and for a long period of time afterward.  This way, you can concentrate on healing and getting back to your normal routine instead of worrying about pain control.  Even more, I place drains that are painless when they are removed and all of my stitches are dissolvable.  These things contribute greatly to making the tummy tuck experience as comfortable as possible.  Thank you for your question!  Dr. Schreiber....Baltimore plastic surgeon

Web reference: http://www.BaltimorePlasticSurgery.com

Anesthetic after tummy tuck

+1

Pain after the tummy tuck procedure is not uncommon, especially if plication (tightening of your abdominal wall has been performed.  Various things can be done to alleviate pain after this procedure.  The local anesthetic bupivacaine may be injected directly into the sheath enveloping the muscles to provide pain relief, usually for up to a day.  Also, the medication Exparel is an extended release, long-acting form of this anesthetic that may last up to 3 days.   Some surgeons may also place pain pumps, which continuously drip this anesthetic atop your abdominal wall to give pain relief for up to 5 days.   All are very effective in controlling some of the pain post-tummy tuck procedure, however,  with a small extra cost involved, but may be worth it.  Hope that this helps!  Thank you for the question!

Web reference: http://www.albertandresmd.com

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Exparel can reduce postoperative pain for up to 72 hours

+1

The medication that you are referring to is called Exparel. It is a delayed release form of bupivacaine, a long acting local anesthetic that is commonly used. Being quite new, it is not used by many plastic surgeons yet. Studies have found it to reduce pain levels as well as decrease the amount of pain medication used postoperatively.

Once you have selected your plastic surgeon, you can discuss this medication with him/her.

Web reference: http://www.turkeltaub.com

Exparel The Long lasting Local Anesthetic

+1

Thank you  for your question.

I have  been using  exparel  for the  last  year for my  breast augmentation  and  tummy  tuck procedures.  It gives pain relief for up  to 72 hours after surgery.  I have noticed patients require less narcotics for pain relief after surgery. If you are considering  a tummy tuck you may  want to discuss it with your surgeon.

Good  Luck!

Brian Joseph  MD FACS

Web reference: http://brianjosephmd.com

Long Lasting Pain Medication

+1

The medication is called Exparel and I have been using it for my cosmetic procedures since it's FDA approval about 9 months ago.  It has been a godsend for patients, reducing the use of narcotics greatly.  My patient coordinator can give more information.  Brian Reedy, M.D. , Wyomissing PA

Reading Plastic Surgeon