Why Does Juvederm Sometimes Make Under-eye Dark Circles Worse?

Juvederm occasionally can worsen under-eye dark circles

+1

In the vast majority of patients who are properly selected for under eye treatment by an expert injector, juvederm or restylane will work beautifully and safely to reduce under eye darkness. In some cases, a filler is not the treatment of choice, especially if the skin is particularly thin in that area, or if the cause of the underlying darkness has not been determined (see a dermatologist for this). The filler can cause a Tyndall effect which is the eye seeing a bluish tinge where the filler was injected ; if this were to happen, an antidote called hyaluronidase can safely be injected by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon to dissolve the filler and clear up the Tyndall effect. Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm swells more than Restylane

+1

There is a posibility of the Tyndall effect or a blue discoloration from superficial injection of the Juvederm causing the dark circles to look worse.  In addition, I perfer not to use Juvederm under the eyes because if you compare the hyaluronic acid fillers, Juvederm tends to swell 6 times MORE than Restylane.  I only inject Restylane around the eyes because it is more reliable in this area and swells less.  I have seen patients with prolonged undereye swelling from HA fillers other than Restylane being injected in that area.

Jason D. Bloom, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm under Eyes

+1

Although a great product, Juvederm injections can sometimes result in a green-blue color change to the skin.  The important point for you is that it is reversible.  Go back to your injector and have a frank discussion about your results.  If your not happy have them erase it!  Good luck.  vargasfaceandskin

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Under Eyes

+1

Both Juvederm and Restylane are clear fillers.  If they are placed superficially, one can see a bluish discoloration which is due to the way light is reflected back from a clear product.  Think about how a swimming pool looks blue even though it is filled with clear water.  This is called the Tyndall Effect.  Also the skin under your eyes is naturally thin which can amplify the effect.  These fillers should be placed deeper on the orbital rim.  Even with perfect placement discoloration may occur!

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Juvederm Under Eyes

+1

I don't recommend Juvederm under the eyes. I prefer Restylane, which, even though it's also made of hyaluronic  acid, doesn't have the bluish tint or ridging that can happen under the eyes from Juvederm. Because it has these attributes, I don't use it there.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Juvederm under the eyes

+1

Juvederm is a clear gel made of hyaluronic acid, a substance naturally found in the skin.  It is used to add volume.  If hyaluronic acid fillers are injected below the eyes too superficially and/or the skin under the eyes is thin, a gray-blue shadowing from the hyaluronic acid may result, adding to the darkness already present under the eyes.

Boris Volshteyn, MD, MS
East Brunswick Plastic Surgeon