Is It Ok To Get Juvederm over Fat Grafting To Add Additional Volume?

I had fat grafting on my cheeks three months ago. Is it all right to have Juvederm injected over this area? I would like a little more volume. My surgeon said it can take a year for the fat to completley take.

Juvederm over fat grafting

+1

Ideally, the fat that is injected will give a permanent result within about 2 months.   I would recommend adding extra fat.   It is not dangerous to add Juvederm, you will just have a temporary result.

Fat Grafting Juvederm

+1

Yes.  In thin patients, who may not have as much fat to harvest, additional volumizing can help.  The fat transfer has most likely laid down a nice foundation and you typically do not need as much filler as you would have without it.  For the cheek areas, I personally like Radiesse or Perlane but that is not to say that Juvederm would not work.  I lay the product deep against the bone in the cheek area. Make sure you are addressing all areas of the face to keep it in overall harmony.  Good luck! vargasfaceandskin

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

OK to add Juvederm over fat grafting for more volume?

+1

I'd have to see pictures to make specific comments but in general fillers like Perlane an Radiesse are better at adding volume to the face and could be added after a fat transfer.

Fillers after fat injections

+1

FiIlers like Juvederm can certainly be placed over fat injections once the fat injections have "taken."  If it is recently after surgery, I would a few months until things have settled.

Gel fillers can safely enhance lips after fat grafting

+1

I think that gel fillers such as Restylane and Juvederm can add finishing touches to the shape of the lips after fat grafting. Fat is, by its nature, globular and can sometimes become irregular if injected too close to the red skin of the lips. After the swelling and healing from the fat grafting are complete, the gel fillers add gloss, and subtle volume correction, which enhances the overall contour of the lips.

Edward Szachowicz, MD, PhD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can I receive Juvederm in an area previously treated with fat transfer?

+1

This is a good question- one that has never been studied to examine whether there are any detremental effects.  Therefore judgement must prevail, and so you are bound to receive many different answers if you ask different physicians.  Hopefully you have maintained a good relationship with the physician who performed the fat transfer procedure for you, and that is the doctor you should listen to the most.  He/she knows you, and has seen how you have responded to the fat transfer procedure, and knows where you are in the healing cascade.

Personally I would want to be sure the treated area had no signs of active healing such as swelling, redness, or unnatural firmness, and, at a minimum at least three months had pasted from the fat transfer procedure.  I have done this for several patients, and even years later I did not see any detrimental effects.  Of course you could also have a second fat transfer procedure in the future, which I have also done on multiple occasions with nice results.

Yoash Enzer, MD

Yoash R. Enzer, MD, FACS
Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon

Restylane can be used following fat transfer

+1

Restylane can be used following fat transfer. However, in the ideal situation you would not need any additional volume. However, Restylane will allow any irregularities to be covered up or smoothed out while you heal. Since you're three months beyond surgery, I would not expect your fat transfer results to become any more pronounced in the future. It is more likely that you will see a small amount of fat resorption which might slightly reduce the volume that's currently there.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon