Juvederm Results Still Visible After a Year - Will It Disappear?

I had lip augmentation 11 months ago with Juvederm in my upper lip. It is still visible - of course, a lot less, but definitely not like it was before the treatment. When can I expect it to disappear completely? (I'm positive it was Juvederm - my doctor talked me into it exactly because she said it wouldn't last that long.) Is it normal and if not, what can I do about it?

Juvederm still present after one year

+1

It is possible for Juvederm to last one year or longer in some people.  It can stimulate some collagen which will also give fullness.  If you would like your doctor to remove the Juvederm, hyaluronidase can dissolve it.

Toronto Dermatologist

Juvederm & other filler longevity

+1

Juvederm and other fillers like Restylane and Perlane will last varying periods of time, depending on how deep it is injected and where it is injected. As well, your own metabolism and how much movement you have in your face can also determine how quickly it breaks down. In the lips, I find most patients have 3-6 months duration, although I have certainly seen longer in some patients. If you want it gone faster, there is thankfully an antidote called hyaluronidase which can dissolve the remainder for you.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm

+1

All fillers have different lengths of staying power in different patients. I find that Juvederm or Restylane tend to last a shorter time in areas of movement or pressure such as the lip. Be patient. I am sure it will dissipate.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

It's not permanent!

+1

Don't worry--Juvederm will not last forever.  The body will eventually break it downas it typically last 6-9 months.  If you want to hasten the breakdown of Juvederm, you can have an enzyme that digests the Juvederm so you don' t have to worry about it anymore.  Good luck!

Mikel Lo, MD
Tucson Oculoplastic Surgeon

How Long Does Juvederm Last?

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane have the capacity to bind large quantities of water and keep the skin firm and moisturized. As the injected hyaluronic acid breaks down, each molecule binds to more water which will maintain the same volume over time. Thus the same volume can be maintained with less hyaluronic acid leading to longer lasting results, known as isovolumetric degradation. Results and longevity certainly vary but I have many patients who are still happy with their results one to two years after their injections.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

You can dissolve juvederm if you dislike it

+1

If you dislike the juvederm and there is any there you can dissolve with hyaluronidase. However, if you are patient it will dissolve on its own. Are you having a problem with it? Do you want to do your lips again? Are you aware that you can add more even with this there or choose another filler , like Restylane, even if some Juvederm remains? 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

In the rare patient, Juvederm will last quite a bit longer than a year.

+1
I have a handful if patients who report that it lasts 18 months , and it is not uncommon for patients to go a year between injections. Interestingly, once the hyaluronic acid fillers begin to go away, the rate of degradation gets faster and faster so you will see a quick drop off rather than a slow rate of decline as you get farther out.

Jacqueline Calkin, MD
Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm in lips

+1

Juvederm usually dissolves within 6-9 months if it is ultra and 9-12 months if it is ultra plus.  However, if it was injected very superficially  it may last longer.