Will Laser Facial Hair Removal Treatment Diminish the Effect of the Juvederm in Same Area

I am planning to have Laser facial hair removal treatments (7) in the area above my lips. This is the same area that I have had the dermal filler, Juvederm. Will the Laser treatments cancel out the filling effect of the Juvederm or diminish its longevity in anyway or even not be effective at all? Thanks for your answer to what I think is a simple question that the folks at Juvederm can't answer.

Laser should not affect filler

+1
The laser does not affect the Juvederm and it won’t diminish the effects of the filler. Most lasers use a beam of very concentrated light that is looking for the melanin in the hair. The laser gets attracted by the hair, not the filler. Once the laser finds the hair the light stops and it does not penetrate any deeper. The upper lip is a very popular area for both fillers and laser in our office. Both procedures can be safely done on the same day without any bad reactions or side effects.

No, you can do laser hair removal and Juvederm together

+1

No, you can do laser hair removal and juvederm together, i do this almost every day.  the company probably cannot comment as there has never been a formal study done, but it definitely can be done.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and Laser Hair Removal

+1

It is typically unlikely.   I have not had any experience with this happening.

Dr. Grant Stevens       

Grant Stevens, MD

Laser hair removal will not affect juvederm

+1

The laser can penetrate only about 3-4mm into the skin.  Now this may be where the juvederm is, but there is nothing in the juvederm that can absorb the laser.  The laser is absorbed by the melanin in the hairs, and furthermore, the hair is so concentrated with the melanin that it would steal the laser light from the juvederm even if it could absorb it.  So I believe that the answer is no.

Daniel I. Wasserman, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal and Juvederm in the Same Area

+1

Theoretically, laser hair removal should not have any effect on Juvederm injections in the same area. Lasers create a beam of highly concentrated light that penetrates into the skin where it delivers a controlled amount of therapeutic heat. This light energy is absorbed by the pigment located in the hair follicles. The laser pulses for a fraction of a second, just long enough to destroy numerous follicles at a time and leaves the surrounding skin unaffected. It is therefore not likely to have any adverse effect on the Juvederm.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser and Juvederm

+1

Typically, laser hair removal should have no effect on duration of Juvederm and I have not heard of any ill effects with laser hair removal and Juvederm injections. It is an interesting question though and should be discussed with the laser company as well. 

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Will laser hair removal decrease Juvederm effects?

+1

It's difficult to say, and the honest answer is that it might.  If the Laser hair Removal uses RF that delivers energy and heat to the tissues, this could theoretically diminish some of the hyaluronic acid (Juvederm) but I think at the end of the fday, this is unlikely.