How Long Before Juvederm "Sets" and Won't Migrate from Injection Site?

Just had juvederm injection to fix the hollowness in my tear through area 2 days ago.  I was told not to press on the area of injection as I might move the gel to areas where it shouldn't be. How many days does it take before the gel sets in? Any other after-care instructions I need to know?

Most Filler "Set" Within a Couple Days

The most important thing about having Juvederm, Restylane, Belotero, or any other filler is that the injector is a skilled injector. Injectors from a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon's office have the most knowledge of the products themselves, the good things that can happen, and what to do if anything happens or goes wrong from the procedure.

Most of the fillers in the HA category "set" within a couple of days of injection. Massaging immediately after the injection helps mold it into place and this should be routine with most everyone. Ice may help prevent any redness and swelling and one should be able to enjoy theirfillers for many months to come.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Displacement Lessens After 48 Hours--Juvederm

Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid dermal filler that’s associated with excellent clinical results and high levels of patient satisfaction. It’s not unusual for patients to develop lumps and bumps of the lower eyelids following Juvederm injections. When this occurs most practitioners recommend massaging the lower eyelid to mold and remodel the Juvederm and soft tissue. This maneuver can significantly improve the aesthetic results of this procedure, but must be done within 48 hours of the injection. After this period, changes will require reabsorption of the Juvederm or treatment with the enzyme hyaluronidase.
If you’re concerned about lumps and bumps in the immediate post injection period it’s important to contact your surgeon immediately. Your surgeon may be able to manipulate your Juvederm and smooth your lower eyelids. After 48 hours you don’t need to worry about displacing your Juvederm.

Juvedem sets in 48 hours

Juvederm is a great product for injecting into the nasolabial area and lips in particular.  Immediately after injection I will mold the treated area to make sure that it is smooth with no lumps or areas of unevenness.  Within 48 hours the area should be set and the Juvederm will not move.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with Juvederm and facial injections.  

Juvederm should, IMHO, always be massaged by the MD, molded and feathered as should all fillers injected within the tissues.  This massaging, immediately, after injection helps decrease the likelihood of lumps and bumps.  The material is set within 2 days, or so and should not require additional massaging in most cases.

Juvederm setting time

Juvederm typically sets in 48 hours. After that time it becomes very difficult to mold. You can ice for 10 minutes of every hour to help with swelling. (A bag of frozen peas is good to use for this because it contours to the shape of the eye). No other aftercare is really necessary.

Kavita Mariwalla, MD

Juvederm setting time

When I inject Juvederm , I usually mold it with my fingers to minimize lumps and bumps.  I tell my patients that as the immediate swelling goes down if they see it a bit lumpy, then they can massage it to improve the contour, but this can really only be done in the first few days after the procedure.