Will Insurance Cover Rhinoplasty Following Mohs Surgery?

I recently had Mohs surgery on my right nostril for basal cell carcinoma. In addition, I have always wanted rhinoplasty to change the shape of my nose. The scar (more like a chunk out of my nostril)is still very visible three years later. Will insurance cover a rhinoplasty since I have had skin cancer? Also, can a rhinoplasty be done using local anesthetic?

Scar revision vs rhinoplasty

+2

Two completely different procedures. The first one is a reconstructive procedure and can be covered by insurance. On the other hand,  rhinoplasty is cosmetic procedure and is not covered by insurance.

Rhinoplasty not covered by medical insurance

+1

Rhinoplasty is a procedure whereby the entire tip, bridge, and alar areas can all be addressed by changing them.  This is done under a general anesthesia.  A rhinoplasty is never covered under medical insurance since it is cosmetic in nature and not medically related.  Even a simple scar revision will not be covered under insurance unless it is creating a functional breathing problem. 

Web reference: http://seattlefacial.com

Rhinoplasty after Mohs Cancer Surgery

+1

Your insurance company will probably only cover surgery to correct any problems caused by the Mohs surgery. Your surgeon's office will help you answer that question by requesting pre-op authorization.

Rhinoplasty and insurance coverage

+1

Typically insurance doesn't cover Rhinoplasty and it's probably not a good idea to have a Rhinoplasty under local.  Even if you could tolerate the injections and they made your nose numb enough to undergo a Rhinoplasty...which is a big if IMHo of doing Rhinoplasty for over 20 years....there's no way to stop bleeding from rolling down the back of your nose and making you choke and gag...which would be a nightmare for you and your surgeon.

Have an anesthetic.  It protects your airway, you'll be more comfortable in the long run and your surgeon will have a better chance of doing his job.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Rhinoplasty after skin cancer excision

+1

Insurance will almost always cover skin flaps, skin grafts, and other reconstructive techniques after skin cancer removal. Rhinoplasty would be covered only if it was related to the cancer reconstruction.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty vs scar revision

+1

Your insurance company may cover your scar revision for your Moh's reconstruction but will not likely cover a rhinoplasty.

Insurance won't cover a cosmetic rhinoplasty despite history of Moh's on nostril

+1

You have uniformity of the answers to your question which should definitely tell you something!!. The deformity related to Moh's surgery has nothing to do with the general reshaping of your nose. If you wanted to pursue both issues, your insurance may cover the issues related to the nostril deformities but the rest, that is the cosmetic component, will need to be paid for by you. Attempting to do a cosmetic rhinoplasty under the pretense of a reconstructive issue is fraud and can ultimately come back to haunt you one way or another if initially it succeeded.

Web reference: http://www.turkeltaub.com

Insurance for Mohs repair

+1

Your insurance will cover reconstruction of a Moh's defect, however you would be responsible for all the costs incurred in doing a rhinoplasty - essentially a cosmetic procedure.  You might be able to find a doctor to do this through your insurance, but that could amount to insurance fraud.  So if he or she is cheating the insurance company, is he also shortchanging you?

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty after cancer surgery.

+1

Your insurance will only cover the reconstruction of the nostril and not the rhinoplasty. The rhinoplasty can be done under local or general anesthesia.

Insurance for Moh's surgery and Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Your insurance will cover the Moh's defect repair from the basal cell carcinoma. The rhinoplasty portion is typically not covered. However, your surgeon may give you some discount if you combine the Moh's repair with the rhinoplasty. And yes, rhinoplasty can be performed under local anesthesia, it all depends on the comfort and training of the surgeon.

Dr.S.

Web reference: http://www.rhinoplastysurgeonnewyork.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.