How Long Can It Take for Sutures to Dissolve After Rhinoplasty?

It has been 18 days after my surgery and I can still see the stitches in my nose and right breast. How long will it take for them to dissolve?

+2

It depends on the type of sutures used. Usuallly, it will take anywhere from 4-6 weeks for these sutures to resolve. These sutures are usually inside the nose and occasionally there are sutures on the outside after open rhinoplasty, which should be removed after 7 days.

Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sutures in the nose

+2

The sutures in the nose after rhinoplsty are dissoving sutures over time.  They are typically gone in seven days.  You can soften them up with an antibacterial ointment on a Q-tip.  This should hasten the dissolving process.

Tal Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

+2

If you are still seeing sutures at 18 days post op I recommend that you return to you surgeon for removal of any visible suture remnants.

Mark Preston, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, Nasal Surgery, revision Rhinoplasty.

+2

It can take several weeks for the sutures to dissolve with a Rhinoplasty.  Let them just dissolve and avoid pulling or sutting them as this can pull down the tissue lining inside of the nose.

Rhinoplasty sutures

+1

Rhinoplasty sutures will depend on what type of sutures were used. Usually these sutures will dissolve within a week or two and fall out on their own.

David E. Kim, MD

Length for Sutures to Dissolve after Rhinoplasty

+1

It can take several weeks for sutures to dissolve inside the nose after rhinoplasty. However, if you still have sutures in the breast skin, call your doctor to schedule removal; they can cause scarring.   

Retained Stitches

+1

This is definitely something that you need to see your surgeon about right away.  The stitches in the nose are more of a nuisance, but the ones in the breast can lead to permanent scarring in the skin.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sutures dissolving after rhinoplasty

+1

The effective strength of bioabsorbable sutures used during rhinoplasty is about 7 sevens.  That being said, some suture remnants may remain for 2 to 3 weeks especially closer to the edge of the nostril where they may dry out.  If you are able to visit your surgeon, he or she would be able to remove them painlessly in a matter of minutes.

Andrew B. Denton, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon