How Serious is an Incision Opening 4 Weeks After Breast Augmentation?

I had implants 12 years ago over the muscle and it was amazing. They looked great, recovery was 2 days. They started to look very firm and fake and it appeared I had some scar tissue. Therefore, I decided to go under the muscle. It's been a nightmare. Pain still after 4 weeks, they sit very high, they look uneven and when I lean forward the skin hangs giving it a tubular look. I wear a painful band at night, I do massages all the time and now after 4 weeks my incision reopened. Is this normal? Should I avoid working out?

Incision opening

+3

An incision opening can be many different things at many different levels. Uusally at 4 weeks it is possibly a suture extrusion. If there is drainage it may be more significant and the implant can become exposed.  The best thing to do it see your surgeon to be evaluated.

Open Incision following breast augmentation

+3

If your incision has reopened 4 weeks after breast augmentation you should notify your surgeon immediately and make an appointment to see them as soon as possible.  In the meantime, keep the incison clean and apply a topical antibacterial ointment such as neosporin or ploysporin.   Avoid working out until you see your physician.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Incision Opening

+3

Most likely an incisional opening after four weeks at the lower breast fold is superficial and does not  extend deep and expose the implant. I would get evaluated by your plastic surgeon to make sure it is just that. Until you get evaluated, I would stop massaging and banding to avoid any undue stress on the incisional opening. Otherwise there is a big difference between implants that were initially placed above the muscle and changing them years laters due to capsular  problems to a submuscular position. They are not comparable operations in terms of recovery.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Incision Opened After Breast Augmentation

+3

A small and superficial opening may be due to a suture working its way out. However, you should notify your surgeon to make sure it is no more serious.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

If the implant is exposed it's a problem

+3

If the incision is only open superficially and there are no signs of infection like redness, drainage, or fever then it may be OK and may heal over time. Your doctor of course should monitor this with you and treat accordingly. If the wound is completely open, exposing the implant, then something needs to be done ASAP. Dependinhg on drainage and other factors it may be possible to irrigate and close the incision, but the success rate is probably 50/50. Each doctor handles this a little differently depending on their findings and their experience. It may be necessary to remove the implant and allow things to heal before replacing it, or even considering other options like fat grafting.

You probably should avoid working out until the problem is resolved one way or another.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Incision Opening after Revisionary Surgery

+2

I am sorry to hear about the complications you are experiencing after revisionary breast surgery. Keep in mind that the operation you have undergone is significantly more complicated ( and generally has a longer “recovery time”) compared to first time breast augmentation surgery.  Converting breast implant position and management of the overlying skin and breast tissue can be a challenging operation and generally does involve a several month period  of healing and skin redraping etc.

How serious of a problem the incision opening is will depend on physical examination. I would suggest close follow-up with your plastic surgeon. He/she will be able to answer questions much more precisely.

Open Incision After Augmentation

+1

The incision opening is typically only an issue if the implant is exposed.  Otherwise, and more commonly, this represents a suture working its way to the surface.  Your surgeon can easily make the diagnosis with an examination.  Best wishes!

Brian Howard, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Go back to your surgeon!

+1

I assume you have shown this to your surgeon.  if not you need to do so right away.  And while you are there ask about such things as when will my implants drop and can I do anything to speed that along like doing massage.

Phillip C. Haeck, MD