Wait Until After Kids for a Breast Lift?

If I don't have kids but would like to, should I wait to do lift?

Breast lift before children

+1

Donna-Consider that when you have children, whether you decide to breast feed or not, your breasts will swell. Also, if you do decide to breast feed, the amount of time you do so will have an effect on your breasts. If you are planning to have children I would suggest waiting to receive a breast lift. If you decide to get a lift before you have children there is a chance that your breast s will reverse the effects of the lift.

Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Childbirth after a breast lift

+1

Your body will change significantly with pregnancy and breast-feeding. Keep this in mind when deciding to schedule your breast lift surgery. Some women choose to wait after their pregnancy and breast lift to schedule a surgery that will change the shape and appearance of their breasts. Other women received a breast lift before pregnancy or breast-feeding. This is fine too. If you decide to receive a breast lift before pregnancy, keep in mind that your body will change with pregnancy and this could alter the appearance that you'd achieved with your breast lift. It may be necessary to receive a small breast lift or a revision after breast-feeding if your breast haved  change significantly. Also remember that surgery that will involve rearranging your breast tissue may interfere with your ability to breast-feed.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Breast lift OK unless you are planning to get pregnant soon.

+1

Hi.

Time marches on. So our thinking in New York City is: if you will definitely plan a pregnancy in the next year or two, of course put off your breast lift. But if pregnancy is an indefinite possibility, then go ahead and have a breast lift now and enjoy your new breasts. The worst that can happen is that you need a touch up after your future pregnancies.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast lift before or after pregnancy

+1

If you are planning to have any children in the near future, I would certainly defer a mastopexy until completion of childbirth because it is likely that you will sustain additional sagging from the pregnancy.

Breast lift and pregnancy

+1

If you are planning to have children soon, then I would recommend waiting to have a breast lift operation. Why ruin the great results if your are planning to become pregnant?

Breast Lift or Mastopexy

+1

Donna,

Thanks for the question. The process of pregnancy and breast feeding can have profound effects on a woman's breasts, ranging from involutional atrophy, to asymmetry, to postpartum development of ptosis or sagging. Because of this, if you are seriously considering having children in the future, my suggestion would be to hold off on the breast lift for now, and consult with a plastic surgeon once your childbearing days are behind you. Best of luck.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Many factors to consider

+1

Without the benefit of examining you it is hard to give advice. Depending on how mach of a lift you need there are risks of decreased nipple sensation or blood supply. I can never guarantee that a woman would be able to breast feed because we don't know if she would be able to even if she didn't have surgery. Lastly we don't know hao your breasts will change as a result of changes in your body (pregnancy, weight loss or gain, etc). It is a decision you would need to make after meeting with a board-certified plastic surgeon and reviewing your options.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Weigh the benefits

+1

Many woman come to my office at a young age because their breasts are sagging and sometimes ugly and asymmetrical. Waiting for marriage and regency can make you self-conscious about your body for a long time.

I suggest seeing a doctor who does this stuff for a living and consider all your options. Find the best technique for your shape and try to minimize scars and breast duct disruption. All these things will make you feel better about your body and less self conscious.

Robert M. Freund, MD