When is It Safe to Sleep on Your Stomach After Breast Lift & Reduction?

I had a breast reduction and lift back in Mid February. And i've always slep on my stomach. Is it okay to do so, after my surgery. If so, when?? Thanks.

Breast reduction activity may depend on the technique

+2

Every surgeon has specific limitation and restrictions that may be unique to their surgical technique and given the lack of specific information about your procedure, it is difficult to give any activity guidelines.

When it comes to this proceudure, most surgeons would advise remaining off your stomach for a minimum of 3 weeks while others recommend 3 months. There is great variability when it comes to the postoperative guidelines.

Wait At Least 6 Weeks Before Sleeping on Stomach

+1

The ability to sleep on the abdomen following breast lift or reduction depends on several factors and varies from patient to patient. Before sleeping in this position, adequate wound healing must take place. We generally recommend six weeks to be safe.

Even at six weeks, sleeping in this position may be uncomfortable for some patients. Under these circumstances patients may need to sleep on their backs for longer periods of time.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

When to sleep on your stomach after a breast lift

+1

After a breast lift surgery, we typically recommend that patients avoid sleeping on their stomach and placing too much pressure onto the breast. We ask that patients remain in this position while sleeping for 3 to 4 weeks. This will allow the tissue to heal and will minimize pain.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Sleeping position after breast lift and reduction

+1

When can you sleep on your stomach? I think that whenever you feel comfortable to do so, you can. This usually occurs after a few months. I do not think that there is a specific time per se.

Opinions vary, but at this point you should be fine

+1

Assuming you have had no complications and no healing problems, at this point you should be fine to sleep on your tummy.  Most of us say that somewhere between 2-6 weeks after surgery is fine, and it sounds like you have passed that mark.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Sleep on stomach after 4 weeks

+1

I have my patients wait 4 weeks to start exercise, move around more, and sleep in any position. I also have a firm tape in place form the first week so the covity can become more firm. Since each surgeons does things a little different, you should consult with the person who did your surgery.

Barry E. DiBernardo, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Lay your body down

+1

Sasha,

Two months out from surgery is very safe to lay on your stomach. I have my patients avoid doing so for 4 weeks usually, unless there are issues with the healing. You should, of course, confirm with your surgeon. Don't assume the responsibility based on what you read here. Your surgeon may have different rules and instructions. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Two months is probably enough

+1

Many patients sleep best on their stomachs and are anxious to get back to that position. In general, sleeping on your side can be done relatively quickly, two weeks or so. Your body will tell you when you can sleep on your stomach, but it will probably be 2 months. This assumes you have had no healing problems or issues. Wishing you all the best.

Talmage J. Raine, MD

2-3 weeks after breast surgery should be fine

+1

I would think you could sleep on your stomach as soon as it doesn't hurt. We usually suture the incisions very well so they won't break open. You won't hurt the shape by sleeping on them. So it should be OK by about three weeks post surgery.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

After breast reduction 2-3 weeks is safe

+1

I let all my patients sleep on their stomach at 2 - 3 weeks after reduction or lift surgery. As long as the wounds are healing well there should be no problems.

Michael Weinberg, MD