When is It Safe to Sleep on Your Stomach After Breast Lift & Reduction?

I had a breast reduction and lift back in Mid February. And i've always slep on my stomach. Is it okay to do so, after my surgery. If so, when?? Thanks.

Wait At Least 6 Weeks Before Sleeping on Stomach

The ability to sleep on the abdomen following breast lift or reduction depends on several factors and varies from patient to patient. Before sleeping in this position, adequate wound healing must take place. We generally recommend six weeks to be safe.

Even at six weeks, sleeping in this position may be uncomfortable for some patients. Under these circumstances patients may need to sleep on their backs for longer periods of time.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Sleeping position after breast lift and reduction

When can you sleep on your stomach? I think that whenever you feel comfortable to do so, you can. This usually occurs after a few months. I do not think that there is a specific time per se.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Opinions vary, but at this point you should be fine

Assuming you have had no complications and no healing problems, at this point you should be fine to sleep on your tummy.  Most of us say that somewhere between 2-6 weeks after surgery is fine, and it sounds like you have passed that mark.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

1101 Madison Street
Seattle, WA 98104

Sleep on stomach after 4 weeks

I have my patients wait 4 weeks to start exercise, move around more, and sleep in any position. I also have a firm tape in place form the first week so the covity can become more firm. Since each surgeons does things a little different, you should consult with the person who did your surgery.

Barry E. DiBernardo, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

29 Park Street
Montclair, NJ 07042

Lay your body down

Two months out from surgery is very safe to lay on your stomach. I have my patients avoid doing so for 4 weeks usually, unless there are issues with the healing. You should, of course, confirm with your surgeon. Don't assume the responsibility based on what you read here. Your surgeon may have different rules and instructions. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD, FACS

114 E. 71st Street
New York, NY 10021

Two months is probably enough

Many patients sleep best on their stomachs and are anxious to get back to that position. In general, sleeping on your side can be done relatively quickly, two weeks or so. Your body will tell you when you can sleep on your stomach, but it will probably be 2 months. This assumes you have had no healing problems or issues. Wishing you all the best.

Talmage J. Raine, MD, FACS
Champaign Plastic Surgeon

1405 W Park Street
Urbana, IL 61801

2-3 weeks after breast surgery should be fine

I would think you could sleep on your stomach as soon as it doesn't hurt. We usually suture the incisions very well so they won't break open. You won't hurt the shape by sleeping on them. So it should be OK by about three weeks post surgery.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

170 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02116

After breast reduction 2-3 weeks is safe

I let all my patients sleep on their stomach at 2 - 3 weeks after reduction or lift surgery. As long as the wounds are healing well there should be no problems.

Michael Weinberg, MD

247 Queensway West
Mississauga, ON L5B 1B9

6 weeks is safe

I ask my patients to allow up to 6 weeksbefore they resume moderate physical activity. During this time they are asked to stay in a supportive but not restrictive bra. I think if you avoid pressure on your breasts for those 6 weeks you have allowed for maximum healing to occur for scar strength to resume sleeping on your tummy.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

8530 W Sunset Rd
Las Vegas, NV 89113

You can sleep on your stomach 3 weeks after breast reduction.

Hi!  After 3 weeks, your breast scars have 85% of their final healed strength.  That means the wounds are sollid, so it is safe to put presure on your breasts, like sleeping on your stomach.  After 4 weeks, there are no restrictions at all, meaning you can do whatever you want.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

875 Park Ave at 78th Street
New York, NY 10075