Revision for Keloid Scars After Breast Lift?

I had a Breast Lift 2 years ago, and the scar is raised and red. What can be done for this scar? Thank you for your time.

Keloids after surgery

+1

A raised scar is not uncommon after this type of surgery. There are multiple options for treatment, including injection of steroids to the scar on a monthly basis, silicone sheeting, topical medications such as scar guard, and laser therapy. Of course, there's also the possibility to revise the scar. You should return to the original surgeon, who advise you possible treatment plans.

Raised scars of breast

+1

Raised and red scars are signs of immature scars. Pressure dressings or silicone sheeting can help with the hypertrophy and lasers can soften the color.

Keloid scars after Breast Lift

+1

Keloid and hypertrophic scars occur after breast lift or mastopexy.  Treatment includes topical creams, silicone pressure tabs, TAC injection and revisional surgery to reduce widening of the scars.

Keloids of the nipple and areola are a common complication after breast lift or mastopexy surgery.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Several options for keloid treatment

+1

Hi Janel,

Thank you for your question! While there is no satisfactory treatment, there are a few options to minimize the appearance of keloid scars.

Keloid scars can be treated by injecting a long-lasting cortisone into the scars. This should be done once a month. The keloid scar should become less noticeable and flatten withing three to six months after several injections.

Another newer treatment is to apply a silicone gel preparation over the scar and cover with an ace bandage or cloth wrap. You should keep it covered 12-24 hours a day and change the wrap every seven to ten days as needed.

Another form of this treatment is Neaclear Scar Advantage which contains Liquid Oxygen, cortisone, Vitamin E, and silicone. Just apply it like nail polish over the scar every day and in two to twelve months your scar will be flatter and smoother.

Last, surgery is an option. However, the scar can come back even bigger than before. You and your surgeon should monitor your scar closely. If it does happen to return, cortisone shots may be necessary to reduce the progression of the keloid.

Thanks again for your question. Have a great day!

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Sacr revision of breast lift scars.

+1

I would agree with attempting non-surgical methods for 4-6 months (pressure therapy, massage, silicone gel sheeting, intralesional steroids, etc). If these fail to produce any significant improvement, I would attempt an initial scar revision on a small portion to the scar to make sure that this is not your normal response to injury.

If you heal well, I would proceed with total scar revision.

Silicone sheeting

+1

Distinguish between hypertrophic scars (thick, raised, red) and keloids (scar grows beyond the area of injury). Silicone sheeting is a low cost, low risk treatment for hypertrophic scars. Try sheeting that is relatively think, self-adhesive, and with a fabric-type backing.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Steroid injections

+1

I would start with kenalog injections repeated every 6 weeks as needed.  I might try surgery after this if needed.  The problem with surgery is that the new scars may be worse than the old ones.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD