Breast Lift After Breast Augmentation?

I was advised to have a Breast Lift with my augmentation. I am not sure I want to have it done due to scarring, recovery, and increased cost. If I just do the augmentation and don't like the results, can I have a lift at a later point?

Breast augmentation, then lift

+2

If the patient has significant drooping, the patient will not achieve a good and natural shape with an implant alone, just a large saggy breast with south pointing nipples.

That being said, it is the safest route to have an augmentation and later a breast lift. Then, circulation issues are minimized. It is dangerous to perform a tight breast lift with a large breast augmentation, especially a Benelli-type lift (aggressive around the nipple lift), even more so in patients who smoke or have recently smoked.

The cost and inconvenience of needing 2 surgeries rather than one should be calculated in, especially if a number of doctors are noticing droopiness and recommending lifts.

There are many hybrid type breast lifts now available that give minimal scarring and a modest lift; these are frequently performed simultaneously with a breast augmentation.

The lift can be done later

+2

Just realize that if the nipple and areola are low or are pointing down, the implant WON"T improve this. If anything, it will look worse. You are certainly entitled to stage this but you will surely want the lift to get the best shape possible. The scars improve with time but the shape doesn't if you don't get the lift.

I have a photo of a patient who went to a doctor who told her all she needed was an implant. She needed a lift but didn't get one. I have shown this photo for years and have NEVER yet met a patient who said that they would be happy with that look in order to avoid a lift.

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

Breast Lift with Implants

+1

Having already had one anesthesia you might as well go ahead and have the breast lift at the same time saving yourself a second anesthia. If your doctor is recomending a lift it probably because you have excess skin , you do not want to end up with what is known as "snoopy boobs". If scarring is your fear there are many medical grade scarring creams that can used such as BioCorneum

Winter Park Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with implants?

+1

If you are seen by a few  well experienced, board-certified plastic surgeons  who recommend breast lifting along with the augmentation, then it would behoove you to do the procedures together. Otherwise, you are bound to be dissatisfied with the results and require further surgery to reach your goals. Further searching will obviously lead to further costs etc.

As in any other area of medicine is important to make the correct diagnosis and tailor  a treatment plan (surgical procedure)  to treat the diagnosis. It would be better NOT to do  and surgery  then to be disappointed with the results.

Again, make sure you consult with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastlift.htm

Staging Your Breast Lift After Augmentation

+1

It is quite reasonable to first have a breast augmentation and evaluate your satisfaction with the results, before proceeding with breast lift.

Of course, this is less efficient and more costly with more recovery time, but may be worth it to you since you have concerns about the scars.  You need to be convinced the lift will be worth it to you.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

If you need a lift, you need a lift

+1

Just placing an implant will not eliminate the fact that you need a breast lift. If you need a lift, and you just have an implant placed, you will end up unhappy with your shape.  Yes, this is true even if you have the implant placed above the muscle. 

Doing a lift with implants has about the same recovery as having just implants.  A long weekend should suffice as recovery before return to a desk job, for instance.  There will be some additional cost for doing an augmentation at the same time as mastopexy, but your total cost will be lower than doing them separately (having the augmentation, then doing the lift later).  It is possible to do the lift later, as you asked, but I'd rather get the right result from the start.

When to have a breast lift with implants

+1

Some patients who are interested in having a breast augmentation may receive the suggestion of pairing the surgery with a breast lift. This is because you may have access to issue or sagging breast in that will not be completely filled by the implant. Rather than just having implant in this case the skin can be retraced around the new implant and create a much more attractive rest mound with a small breast lift. However, if you have reservations it is not necessary to perform the surgeries at the same time. You may choose to go ahead with the breast augmentation and see how you heal. If you decide to have breast lift at a later date as possible.

Lift and augmentation

+1

Yes, you can have a lift after breast implants. While I try to do them in a single session it certainly is easier to stage them.

Simple answer - yes. Better answer - other approaches may be better.

+1

kbg_04:

It is certainly reasonable to have a breast augmentation without a lift for some patients, but most who need a lift at the same time as their augmentation are better off doing them together. (Sometimes the lift is best done before the augmentation.) The augmentation operation your surgeon does may be done differently depending on whether you have lift or not. These decisions are best made in conjunction with your surgeon. He or she has the advantage of examining you and knowing more about you than we do on the internet.

Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Excellent Idea!

+1

Whenever possibe (given many variables however), I encourage a staged approach. The procedure in my opinion is safer, less complications, and results are more predictable. Plus, if you are happy with the results, you save an added operation. Sometimes however, there is no way that a patient will be happy with just one procedure.

sek

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.