Hydroquinone and Pregnancy. Do I have a risk of birth defect on my baby?

I've been using Obagi 5, hydroquinone 4% over one year. Now I found out I am one month pregnant and stopped using it. Do I have a risk of birth defect on my baby?

Hydroquinone and Pregnancy

+1

Thank you for your question. Fortunately, you stopped it as soon as you found out. It's a topical medication so there is very little to no systemic absorption. The risk of a birth defect is minimal to none. I would recommend continuing a healthy lifestyle and follow-up with your MD as scheduled. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Pregnancy and hydroquinone creams

+1

I would cease all prescription topical creams now that you know you are pregnant, unless they are specifically recommended by a knowledgeable physician. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Web reference: http://karemd.com/cosmetic-dermatology/12/obagi-blue-peel.aspx

Obagi and Pregnancy

+1

We do not recommend patients to use this system during pregnancy, due to the hydroquinone.  At least you are in a very early stage of pregnancy, but I would talk to my OBGYN about my concerns.  Best of luck with your pregnancy.