Can an Obagi Blue Peel Get Rid of Dermal Hyperpigmentation?

This hyperpigmentation is on my upper lip and is bluish-grey in colour. I believe it arose from waxing my upper lip and then going out in strong sunlight approximately 6 months ago. I have never had any pigmentation problems in the past. I have already tried one session of IPL, with no success, perhaps because the pigmentation is not very dark in comparison to the surrounding skin.

Obagi Blue Peel for Hyperpigmentation

+1

I use the Blue Peel for hyperpigmentation associated with melasma.  Patients are advised to use Melarase cream as a prep prior to peeling. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Obagi Blue Peel and lip hyperpigmentation

+1

I would not suggest an Obagi Blue Peel for your situation of lip hyperpigmentation.  The likelihood  that this treatment will improve the hyperpigmentation is low and there is a chance that it could make the situation worse.  I agree with my colleagues, topical bleaching creams including tretinoin and hydroquinone would be the safest and best option.  We also use the Obagi Nu-derm System, which incorporates the above medications, and have found that it works reasonably well for your situation. 

Web reference: http://www.VincentLeporeMD.com

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Best treatment for lip hyperpigmentation

+1

An Obagi Blue Peel is not a good way of treating hyperpigmentation and has the risk of making things worse. The best way to treat hyperpigmentation is by using a combination of two topical prescription-strength medications: hydroquinone and tretinoin cream. Unlike the unsubstantiated claims made by over-the-counter skin care products, the results of using these creams are backed by real medical science. I recommend the Obagi Nu-Derm System which uses both tretinoin cream and hydroquinone to visibly lighten hyperpigmented areas as well as the fine lines and wrinkles that are due to chronic sun exposure. More information about the Obagi Nu-Derm system can be found at my web site by following the link below.

Web reference: http://www.dorsetstreetdermatology.com/cosmetic-dermatology/obagi-medical-systems/

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

A Blue Peel in itself will not correct Hyperpigmentation

+1

a Blue Peel is an Obagi branded moderate depth TCA peel. The peel does not correct Hyperpigmentation and if done in a skin prone to Hyperpigmentation such as yourself may result in further Hyperpigmentation. A better approach but gradual is to use bleaching creams. Not glamorous but very effective.