Will Blue Peel Make My Rosacea Worse?

But I went to my dermatologist last week, and she said I had a mild case of Rosacea.I'm now wondering if the Blue Peel will make the condition worse. My main reason for doing the Blue Peel was to improve my acne scars, but certainly not at the risk of making the rosacea worse. Should I forget about the Peel?

Blue Peel/Rosacea/Acne Scars

+2

I have been using the Obagi Blue Peel for over 12 years and have never seen it make anyone's rosacea worse. It also won't make your acne scars any better because it doesn't penetrate deep enough. Only deeper levels of resurfacing have a chance of improving your scars. In my practice, we have been seeing very nice degrees of improvement using a fractionated CO2 laser without the risk of pigment change seen with traditional CO2 resurfacing or dermabrasion. Once you have finished getting your face resurfaced look into IPL/Photofacial treatments to improve your rosacea. Hope this helps! Good luck!!!!

Long Beach Plastic Surgeon

Obagi Blue Peel, Rosacea, and Acne Scars

+2

An Obagi Blue Peel is a medium depth chemical peel that penetrates down to the upper dermis using trichloroacetic acid (TCA). I have frequently done Obagi Blue Peels in my rosacea patients without problems. However, I also advise my patients that an Obagi Blue Peel will have minimal effect on acne scars. It is really intended to improve the appearance of sunspots as well as tone and texture of the skin. There are much better procedures for improving acne scars ranging from microdermabrasions and eMatrix treatments to more aggressive routes such as laser resurfacing. Since your main reason for doing an Obagi Blue Peel is for acne scars, I would advise you consider other forms of treatment.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Rosacea and facial chemical peels in Los Angeles

+1

Rosacea has many causes. The deeper Blue Peels may actually exacerbate the redness associated with Rosacea, as will many laser and chemical peel treatments. In rosacea patients, I combine peels with pulsed dye laser afterwards. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS