Chin Liposuction Recovery

Is there a way to have minor liposuction on my chin with a fast recovery time?  I'm a busy guy, so I don't have time to hand around waiting for a cosmetic procedure to heal, so if there is a way to recover faster than average that would be best.

Quick recovery for facial liposuction

One of the most important things to consider when thinking about recovery, is to plan for success. Avoid aspirin, advil, motrin, etc for two weeks. There are several pages of things from herbal products to vitamins to avoid as well, since many will thin the blood and cause more bruising.

When doctors refer to liposuction, it may or may not include a platysmaplasty. This is removal of the deep fat and tightening of the muscles. The addition of this procedure may create a longer recovery as far as restriction of activities, but the final result may be much better than simple lipo.

It is very important to wear a support sling for the first week as much as you can. After the first week sleeping in it as much as possible will help to push the swelling out as you sleep.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin liposuction recovery

Chin liposuction, if you are a good candidate for it, has minimal pain involved in the recovery. I ask patients to wear a chin strap night and day for 7 days and at night after that for another week or two. There can be some bruising for 2 weeks and you should avoid exercise for 2 weeks. Many men grow a bread during the recovery to hide the bruising and when they shave it off, the public is more aware of the change from that than from thinking they had surgery. They just look younger and like they lost weight.

Chin Liposuction Recovery

The recovery for chin ;liposuction is not an extended recovery. Many people can be back to many normal activities within a week. A chin strap does need to be worn around the clock for at least one week. But, it can be removed for an hour lingo meeting, a trip to the supermarket, etc.

Much of the recovery will depend on the precision of your surgeon so do your research. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from Chin Lipo

Liposuction of the chin area will have a relatively quick recovery time compared to liposuction of other areas. Typically the pain or soreness associated with it should resolve in about 3-5 days. You should look and feel good enough to return to work or other activities after approximately one week.

All liposuction procedures require post-operative garments. These garments are necessary to reduce the swelling and prevent the accumulation of fluid. If you get liposuction of the chin, the garment should be worn 24/7 for the first week, thereafter, the compressive garment should be worn at night for an additional 2-3 weeks.

There is no way to shorten the amount of recovery time, or the time wearing the garment, without compromising your results.

There are other procedures with shorter recovery times, but as with all procedures, the less invasive they are, and the faster the recovery, the less dramatic the results. For example, Kybella is a new FDA approved injection to dissolve fat in the area below the chin/ neck. It is an office procedures with almost no downtime. However, the results are subtle and treatments may need to be repeated up to 3-4 times for maximum results. Other non invasive ways to decrease fat, like energy based treatments, produce even more subtle results.

In summary, liposuction would provide the best result, but would require at least 5-7 days of recovery. There are other less invasive options available, but the results are more subtle.

John Diaz, MD

Liposuction in this area heals very quickly and can be done under local anesthesia.

I usually perform my cosmetic procedures on a Thursday so by the Monday following you should be ready to return to your normal activities.  For the first five days you would have to wear a compression garment  and then just at night time for another week.  The bruising can be minimal if you take arnica before and after surgery.  Make sure that you are not any blood thinner two weeks prior to surgery.

Secrets to a Fast Recovery from Liposuction to face, chin or neck

Secrets for a fast recovery time from chin liposuction include the following recommendations in my practice: 

1. Head elevation at all times - I recommend a minimum of 30 degrees elevation and suggest they sleep in a  a recliner chair if  available
2. Stay away from supplements and medicines if you are able that cause bruising.
These include NSAID's like asprin, ibuprofen, and naprosyn, blood thinners and so on.
The list for supplements to stay away from is huge - we generally give out a list of the most common 200 supplements to avoid  (e.g. Fish Oil, alpha omega 3 fats, Vitamin E, etc)
3.  Normal or Low-Normal Blood Pressure. - If you are blessed with this great, otherwise make sure your BP is well controlled - I typically prescribe a Clonidine patch unless you have low blood pressure
4. No early lifting or bending down
5. Icing as directed by your MD during the first 3 days                                                6. Low Salt Diet

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Chin liposuction recovery time

If you are seriously considering cosmetic surgery you need to put yourself in the best possible position to get the best outcome. This means that you need to plan out the appropriate recovery time to ensure that you get the best results. Chin liposuction is a relatively non-invasive procedure that can be performed in the office in about an hour and you go home the same day. Everybody heals at their own unique pace but generally speaking I would give yourself at least 3-5 days off of work depending on the type of work that you do. If you have a very strenuous job you may need more time off. I like to have my patients wear a compression garment around the clock for the first three days following surgery and then about 12 hours per day for the next two weeks. Swelling and bruising usually usually takes a couple of weeks to resolve and you may feel firmness under your chin for a couple of months although it is not usually visible. Good luck!

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Liposuction of the Chin provides a fast recovery

In my experience Liposuction of the chin provides the fastest recovery of any Liposuction procedure. The area treated is very small, pain is minimal and bruising is frequently less than with Liposuction in other body areas.

The advent of Laser Assisted Liposuction with SlimLipo has reduced the time required for post operative recovery for all of my Liposuction patients, especially Chin Liposuction patients.

The only real factor which delays recovery is the need to wear the compressive chin garment. This pressure garment helps reduce swelling and recovery and needs to be worn for at least 5 days (in my opinion) and preferably longer. I recomend that patients wear the garment at night for 2 weeks.

You will not be limited by pain or disability. However you will wear a compressive "chin strap' for 5 days or so which may delay your return to normal social activity

Quick recovery after chin liposuction.

Typically, I do this procedure under local anesthetic.  If needed, I prescribe some oral Valium taken about one hour before the surgery to take the edge off.  If we do this on a Friday, most patients are back in the office by Monday. As for the chin strap, by Monday, I will ask you just to wear it at night for another week. 

Allan J. Parungao, MD

Liposuction recovery

Thanks for sharing. If all one needs is chin liposuction then the recovery is rather easy and quick. You could have it done under local anesthesia on a Friday and return to work on a Monday. Light activity only for 10-14 days. Newer technologies such as laser lipolysis may give even shorter recovery times. If more work is needed such as a platysmaplasty to tighten the neck bands then a few additional days would be needed. 

Raymond E. Lee, MD