Is Liposuction of the Chin Painful?

I'm a 31 year old woman and I've never had a surgical operation before. I don't think I handle pain particularly well but i'd really like to have the area under my chin reshaped.

Chin or Neck Liposuction is NOT painful at all

+4

Liposuction of the jowls, jawline, below the chin/ neck area is not a painful procedure at all. It is done under local anesthesia only and you can drive yourself home afterwards and be back to work in 1-2 days. There is almost no bruising and it costs roughly $2500.  

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction of the chin and neck can be performed with very little pain

+3

Hi

Every individual has a different pain tolerance and therefore a different experience with surgery. In regards to pain, there are two periods to consider. One is during the operation and the second is during the postoperative recovery. The pain during the operation for liposuction of the chin and neck area should be very mild depending on the type of anesthesia. In the simplest situation the procedure can be performed under local anesthesia and the discomfort would be primarily from the injections to numb the area. At the other extreme, the operation can be performed under general anesthesia and you should feel little during the surgery. Between these are options where local anesthesia is used along with medications to provide various degrees of sedation during the procedure.

During the postoperative period the average person tolerates the discomfort very well and any pain can be well controlled with oral medication. I would recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine what type of anesthesia might be best for you. He or she can also give you idea as to the type and degree of change you may anticipate.

I hope this information provides some help to you and that you are able to overcome your fears to undergo the procedure. Best wishes and good luck to you

Wayne I. Yamahata, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction - pain

+2

When it comes to post-operative pain, everyone is different and their own pain tolerance.  However, most patients have relatively little pain after neck liposuction.  Most of my patients take very minimal pain medication.  The most cumbersome part of the post-op period is wearing the neck compression garment which can be a little uncomfortable.  However, this area heals well.  If you're considering surgery, I recommend you see a surgeon for a consultation to discuss the risks, benefits, and alternatives as well as help you form realistic expectations for what your results will be like.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Chin and Neck Liposuction

+2

Chin liposuction should be approached with caution as the mentalis muscle is closely adherent to the overlying skin. However, neck liposuciton is easily performed and can be performed safely in a well equipped procedure room.

Speak to a plastic surgeon about the incision sites, the amount of skin redundancy, the technique for liposuction, and the postoperative recovery.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Chin Liposuction discomfort usually quite minimal

+2

A liposuction under the chin could be done under local or general anesthesia. In many cases patients just to avoid going under general anesthesia request this procedure under the local anesthetic. It takes about an hour to have it done and patient should not feel pain during the procedure when done under general and minimal pain if any when done under local.

The pain medication may be needed to control the pain and discomfort after the surgery. The recovery time depends on the individual; however most patients resume their daily activities within couple of days.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Pain Management Following Chin Liposuction

+1

Pain following chin liposuction varies from patient to patient and is dependent upon multiple factors. These include the type of liposuction performed, the amount of fat removed and the type of anesthetic utilized.  The vast majority of neck liposuction patients would characterize the pain as minimal, but this may vary depending on the individual patient’s pain tolerance.  In most cases, significant resolution of pain has occurred in the first 48 hours following surgery.

Pain following chin liposuction is usually easily managed with narcotic pain medications in the first 48 hours following surgery.  Patients are usually switched to Tylenol at this point which alleviates residual pain and is well tolerated by most patients.

Pain management is also facilitated by elevation of the head, compression garments, ice compresses and gentle massage. These maneuvers help minimize swelling which appears to be a major source of discomfort in the post-operative period. Utilizing this approach, the majority of patients don’t feel that pain is a major issue following this procedure.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Chin or neck liposuction - is it painful

+1
Chin and or neck liposuction is not painful. patients sometimes find the compression garment  a bit uncomfortable.  When this procedure is performed correctly, the results are stunning. They can make a person look more elegant, more fit and trim and simply more attractive.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Mild to moderate pain for chin liposuction/ neck lift

+1
 When simple liposuction of the neck is performed, it is not painful and most patients take a few moderate strength pain relievers the first night. A neck lift is a little more involved since it's removing fat above and below the muscle and tightening the muscle as well with a platysma plasty. The neck muscles tend to be a little more tender the first few days after the procedure. With the neck lift procedure 2 drains are inserted in the neck and there are no compression garments needed. The drains stay in place for 2 days. Most patients take a few pain pills the first 3 or 4 days after the procedure. For many examples, please see the link below to our neck lift photo  gallery

Chin liposuction is not painful and can be done without you going to sleep

+1
Chin liposuction is a relatively simple procedure that can actually be done without having you go under general anesthesia.  Our patients feel perfectly fine the same day.  We ask that our patients wear a bandage for full two weeks and that is much more of an annoyance to them than pain.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Pain with Chin Liposuction

+1

Evening,

I'm not sure that I'd describe it as painful. . .really not much at all.  My patients have all the performed under local anesthesia and the process of becoming numb stings a bit at first but then it's smooth sailing.  The healing and after care are very managable and I've just never had a patient complain of pain afterwards.  Now, if you have this and a chin implant performed at the same time then yes, the chin implant is umcomfortable for about 3 days.  Other than that, you'll do great.

Chase Lay MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon