In Breast Augmentation, Does Size Decrease As the Swelling Goes Down?

I had my surgery last Thursday, they are still swollen but I feel they are a bit bigger that what I have wanted. I went with 285cc under the muscle, I feel I should have gone with less than that, maybe 50cc less to make it a difference. I am 5´1, 90lbs, and BWD of 11cm. I was 32A looking to be a full B and now my surgical bra size is 34C. That´s a little too much for me. Does size decreases as the swelling goes down? How much do I have to wait for a redo going 50cc smaller?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Too big, too tight, too high, tot swollen after breast augmentation surgery.

+5

Hi, thank you for your question.

You are at the very beginning of what is really a six month process as the tissues of your body relax and the implants settle over time.

I always tell my patients that they will look too big, too tight, too high, and too swollen right after surgery so that they won't panic the first week.

Unfortunately, patients don't get to see what the plastic surgeons sees in the operating room.  As you roll out to the recovery room the breasts begin to swell and the muscles begin to tighten.  Often there's some fluid that initially accumulates around the outside of the implant.  In the early stage when the muscles which are tight press on the implant it generally makes them look higher as well.

Over the next six months the body relaxes, the fluid absorbs, the muscles give way, the implants will see less upper portion fullness and will look lower and fuller on the chest.  It will generally take about three weeks before you begin to believe that changes are happening.

Unfortunately you really won't know if the size is exactly what you want for about six months but if you had good communication with your plastic surgeon chances are you'll be happy.  A paradox of this operation is of the people like you who are scared in the first week about 60 to 70% will eventually say hmm.... maybe I could've gone bigger?

I hope in the end you get exactly which are looking for, but a week after surgery is way too early to be worried that this is your final result.

Best wishes for a speedy and happy recovery.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with size at one week

+3

I generally tell my breast augmentation patients that if they are happy with their size the first week, I have chosen the wrong implant. You are swollen, your implants haven't dropped yet and you still probably don't feel great after surgery. This is not the time to make any decisions about your result. You will see some changes over the next several weeks and months, give yourself time to heal and to get used to your new look. Remember you hired an artist not a technician, trust your surgeon and give it some time, I bet in 6 months you'll love your breasts.

Good luck to you!

In Breast Aug, Does Size Decrease As Swelling Goes Down?Answr:

+2

yes the size will go down and you should give it 6-8 weeks, not just for swelling but to allow them to rotate and settle a bit, as that will change the appearance as well.. But you do not have very big implants and 50cc is very minimal so my guess is give it time and I'll bet you'll love them!!!

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Swelling

+2

You are still very swollen without a doubt. You can expect your breasts to change over the next month. I believe that will be happy with the final result once all of the swelling has subsided.

Swelling after breast augmentation

+2

At less than one week post-op, your breasts are still quite swollen, possibly by as much as 10-20% over your final size.  So try to be patient.  You should already have noticed some of the swelling going down by now.  This trend will continue steadily, but it will probably take about 3 months until you are pretty much at your final size.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Size after surgery

+1
Don't panic - it's too early to make any judgments about your size or shape - at one week your breasts are still swollen and your implants are high and tight. In four to six weeks you'll have a pretty good idea of what things will look like, but it takes a full six months to see a final result. 

Swelling Following Breast Augmentation Surgery

+1

Patients undergoing breast augmentation can anticipate significant swelling in the immediate post-operative period.  This swelling resolves quickly, with the vast majority being gone in about three weeks.  Almost all of the visible swelling is gone in about 4 to 6 weeks, but small amounts of residual swelling may be present for up to 3 to 4 months following surgery.

Compression bras and dressing are frequently used following breast augmentation to the minimize swelling.  Swelling can add to a patient’s post-operative discomfort.  It can also be the source of anxiety regarding breast size in the immediate post-operative period.

It is not unusual for patients to express concern about breast augmentation surgery.  In some cases, swelling can be significant and make the breasts look much larger than they will ultimately end up.  As swelling resolves patients rapidly adjust to their new breast size and the majority, are ultimately very happy with their size.

For these reasons, we feel it’s important for the patient and the surgeon to have good communication following surgery.  In this situation, a little reassurance can go a long way towards making this a more comfortable experience.  Be patient, it’s far too early to be concerned about revisional surgery.  There’s a good chance you will end up happy with your breast size.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Healing time alters breast augmentation size and shape

+1
Edema, distortion initially if under the muscle, transient fluid from irrigation, local anesthetics, and serum, as well as the process of skin, breast tissue and/or muscle all need to adjust to the new implant volume. Therefore you will not know your final size and shape for months

Web reference: https://pacificcenterplasticsurgery.com/procedures/breast/augmentation/

Does SIze Decrease Swelling

+1

Size of the breast does decrease as swelling goes down after breast augmentation. Sometimes this can represent as much as a cup size of artificial fullness before swelling abates. Increasingly some patients like the noticed fullness of their swollen breasts the night after surgery and then become discouraged when they "shrink" with normal healing. Accurate assessment of desired breast size is critical in the pre operative consultation and is something we focus on in breast augemenation practice.

Breast Augmentation Surgery Results?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the concerns you have after your procedure.

You should be aware that a significant percentage of patients at your stage of recovery will feel that they are too big or (more commonly) too  small.

I would suggest you wait at least 6 additional months before you make any decisions regarding revisionary surgery.  This waiting time will allow you to (potentially) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image. You may find that what appears “too big” now,  may not be so “too big” after this adjustment period.

If at that point,  you're convinced that the breast implants are too large ( assuming the breast implant pockets are otherwise doing well), revisionary  surgery  is a relatively painless procedure. Clear communication with your plastic surgeon will be important to avoid further dissatisfaction.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm