In Breast Augmentation, Does Size Decrease As the Swelling Goes Down?

I had my surgery last Thursday, they are still swollen but I feel they are a bit bigger that what I have wanted. I went with 285cc under the muscle, I feel I should have gone with less than that, maybe 50cc less to make it a difference. I am 5´1, 90lbs, and BWD of 11cm. I was 32A looking to be a full B and now my surgical bra size is 34C. That´s a little too much for me. Does size decreases as the swelling goes down? How much do I have to wait for a redo going 50cc smaller?

Too big, too tight, too high, tot swollen after breast augmentation surgery.

+4

Hi, thank you for your question.

You are at the very beginning of what is really a six month process as the tissues of your body relax and the implants settle over time.

I always tell my patients that they will look too big, too tight, too high, and too swollen right after surgery so that they won't panic the first week.

Unfortunately, patients don't get to see what the plastic surgeons sees in the operating room.  As you roll out to the recovery room the breasts begin to swell and the muscles begin to tighten.  Often there's some fluid that initially accumulates around the outside of the implant.  In the early stage when the muscles which are tight press on the implant it generally makes them look higher as well.

Over the next six months the body relaxes, the fluid absorbs, the muscles give way, the implants will see less upper portion fullness and will look lower and fuller on the chest.  It will generally take about three weeks before you begin to believe that changes are happening.

Unfortunately you really won't know if the size is exactly what you want for about six months but if you had good communication with your plastic surgeon chances are you'll be happy.  A paradox of this operation is of the people like you who are scared in the first week about 60 to 70% will eventually say hmm.... maybe I could've gone bigger?

I hope in the end you get exactly which are looking for, but a week after surgery is way too early to be worried that this is your final result.

Best wishes for a speedy and happy recovery.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with size at one week

+3

I generally tell my breast augmentation patients that if they are happy with their size the first week, I have chosen the wrong implant. You are swollen, your implants haven't dropped yet and you still probably don't feel great after surgery. This is not the time to make any decisions about your result. You will see some changes over the next several weeks and months, give yourself time to heal and to get used to your new look. Remember you hired an artist not a technician, trust your surgeon and give it some time, I bet in 6 months you'll love your breasts.

Good luck to you!

Thomas B. Lintner, MD, FACS

In Breast Aug, Does Size Decrease As Swelling Goes Down?Answr:

+2

yes the size will go down and you should give it 6-8 weeks, not just for swelling but to allow them to rotate and settle a bit, as that will change the appearance as well.. But you do not have very big implants and 50cc is very minimal so my guess is give it time and I'll bet you'll love them!!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Swelling

+2

You are still very swollen without a doubt. You can expect your breasts to change over the next month. I believe that will be happy with the final result once all of the swelling has subsided.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Swelling after breast augmentation

+2

At less than one week post-op, your breasts are still quite swollen, possibly by as much as 10-20% over your final size.  So try to be patient.  You should already have noticed some of the swelling going down by now.  This trend will continue steadily, but it will probably take about 3 months until you are pretty much at your final size.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Too early to worry

+1
You are too early after the surgery to worry about the results yet.  Things continue to settle over the first 6 months.  Most patients who worry about the size at this point in their recovery are happy at 6 months.

Gary Lawton, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Swelling

+1
Dear Alice, Thank you for your post. It is very common to be about a size bigger right after surgery than what your final result will be. Swelling starts to occur right after surgery and tends to peak in the first week. After about a month you will have lost most of the swelling, but still not completely at baseline. After about another 3 months or so, you will have lost 99% of your swelling, but still you have a pretty good idea at 1 month. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on bras until 3 months as they might not fit perfectly after all the swelling goes away. Also, the more activity you have, the longer the swelling stays, the more that needs to be done as far as lift etc. with surgery, the longer your swelling stays. Best Wishes! Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Swelling Affects Breast Size After Breast Augmentation

+1
It is still too early to determine the true results of your breast augmentation. Your breast size will probably decrease as swelling subsides over the course of a couple of weeks. You body will adjust to the implants over about three to four months, and you'll find that their shape becomes more natural in appearance. They won't be as high and tight. This allows for the implants to settle more into a better position with the help of gravity. A gradual redistribution of volume from the upper to the lower breast occurs, resulting in an enlargement and rounding out of the lower breast.

You'll want to wait at least until the four month mark after your surgery before considering revision.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Swelling after a breast augmentation

+1
Swelling is normal after a breast augmentation. If one breast is much larger than the other there is a possibility of a hematoma. At one week you can expect some degree of asymmetry. If you believe that the size is much larger than you expected it would be best to check with your plastic surgeon since he understands your surgery and unique anatomy. If for no other reason it may give you some reassurance.

Size after surgery

+1
Don't panic - it's too early to make any judgments about your size or shape - at one week your breasts are still swollen and your implants are high and tight. In four to six weeks you'll have a pretty good idea of what things will look like, but it takes a full six months to see a final result. 

Grant Stevens, MD