In Breast Augmentation, Does Size Decrease As the Swelling Goes Down?

I had my surgery last Thursday, they are still swollen but I feel they are a bit bigger that what I have wanted. I went with 285cc under the muscle, I feel I should have gone with less than that, maybe 50cc less to make it a difference. I am 5´1, 90lbs, and BWD of 11cm. I was 32A looking to be a full B and now my surgical bra size is 34C. That´s a little too much for me. Does size decreases as the swelling goes down? How much do I have to wait for a redo going 50cc smaller?

Unhappy with size at one week

+3

I generally tell my breast augmentation patients that if they are happy with their size the first week, I have chosen the wrong implant. You are swollen, your implants haven't dropped yet and you still probably don't feel great after surgery. This is not the time to make any decisions about your result. You will see some changes over the next several weeks and months, give yourself time to heal and to get used to your new look. Remember you hired an artist not a technician, trust your surgeon and give it some time, I bet in 6 months you'll love your breasts.

Good luck to you!

In Breast Aug, Does Size Decrease As Swelling Goes Down?Answr:

+2

yes the size will go down and you should give it 6-8 weeks, not just for swelling but to allow them to rotate and settle a bit, as that will change the appearance as well.. But you do not have very big implants and 50cc is very minimal so my guess is give it time and I'll bet you'll love them!!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Swelling

+2

You are still very swollen without a doubt. You can expect your breasts to change over the next month. I believe that will be happy with the final result once all of the swelling has subsided.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Swelling after breast augmentation

+2

At less than one week post-op, your breasts are still quite swollen, possibly by as much as 10-20% over your final size.  So try to be patient.  You should already have noticed some of the swelling going down by now.  This trend will continue steadily, but it will probably take about 3 months until you are pretty much at your final size.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Swelling

+1
Dear Alice, Thank you for your post. It is very common to be about a size bigger right after surgery than what your final result will be. Swelling starts to occur right after surgery and tends to peak in the first week. After about a month you will have lost most of the swelling, but still not completely at baseline. After about another 3 months or so, you will have lost 99% of your swelling, but still you have a pretty good idea at 1 month. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on bras until 3 months as they might not fit perfectly after all the swelling goes away. Also, the more activity you have, the longer the swelling stays, the more that needs to be done as far as lift etc. with surgery, the longer your swelling stays. Best Wishes! Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Swelling Affects Breast Size After Breast Augmentation

+1
It is still too early to determine the true results of your breast augmentation. Your breast size will probably decrease as swelling subsides over the course of a couple of weeks. You body will adjust to the implants over about three to four months, and you'll find that their shape becomes more natural in appearance. They won't be as high and tight. This allows for the implants to settle more into a better position with the help of gravity. A gradual redistribution of volume from the upper to the lower breast occurs, resulting in an enlargement and rounding out of the lower breast.

You'll want to wait at least until the four month mark after your surgery before considering revision.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Swelling after a breast augmentation

+1
Swelling is normal after a breast augmentation. If one breast is much larger than the other there is a possibility of a hematoma. At one week you can expect some degree of asymmetry. If you believe that the size is much larger than you expected it would be best to check with your plastic surgeon since he understands your surgery and unique anatomy. If for no other reason it may give you some reassurance.

Size after surgery

+1
Don't panic - it's too early to make any judgments about your size or shape - at one week your breasts are still swollen and your implants are high and tight. In four to six weeks you'll have a pretty good idea of what things will look like, but it takes a full six months to see a final result. 

Grant Stevens, MD

Swelling Following Breast Augmentation Surgery

+1

Patients undergoing breast augmentation can anticipate significant swelling in the immediate post-operative period.  This swelling resolves quickly, with the vast majority being gone in about three weeks.  Almost all of the visible swelling is gone in about 4 to 6 weeks, but small amounts of residual swelling may be present for up to 3 to 4 months following surgery.

Compression bras and dressing are frequently used following breast augmentation to the minimize swelling.  Swelling can add to a patient’s post-operative discomfort.  It can also be the source of anxiety regarding breast size in the immediate post-operative period.

It is not unusual for patients to express concern about breast augmentation surgery.  In some cases, swelling can be significant and make the breasts look much larger than they will ultimately end up.  As swelling resolves patients rapidly adjust to their new breast size and the majority, are ultimately very happy with their size.

For these reasons, we feel it’s important for the patient and the surgeon to have good communication following surgery.  In this situation, a little reassurance can go a long way towards making this a more comfortable experience.  Be patient, it’s far too early to be concerned about revisional surgery.  There’s a good chance you will end up happy with your breast size.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon