Should Breast Look Saggy After Breast Augmentation? (photo)

Its been 11 days since ive had my BA. (Silicone 400cc below muscle) My breasts look "boxy" and look as though the implant is sitting high on my chest and my actual breast is hanging from the implant. Will the implant "drop" enough to make my breasts look normal? Or was it placed too high on my chest? If so what can be done to fix this?

Postoperative Breast Augmentation Results

+2

From your preoperative photos, you have a relative excess of breast skin (whether this is the natural shape of your breasts or you have had children) when compared to your pectoralis muscle. When you place an implant beneath the muscle in a situation such as yours, the muscle needs to relax more that the existing breast skin. This takes time. As a result, you will see this improve as the muscle relaxes to the degree that your breast skin is currently. Although this is not accurate for all patients, 11 days is far too early to make a decision or get overly concerned about your results. You will likely see an equalization of your implants as the muscle catches up to your skin. Be patient and stay in touch with your surgeon.

Vincent Marin, MD

Needing a lift from the start

+1

Your preop photo shows a downwardly displaced and point nipple.  This will not be fixed by implants alone.  The good news is that you can heal for 6 months and see if the final look is okay and if not, do the lift then.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

High implants after breast augmentation

+1

You are still early in the post-operative process when implants are high.  Have you discussed with your surgeon about massage, stretching, or wearing a bandeau to help them fall? 

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Boxy breasts after an augmentation

+1

You may want to get a band to help push down the implants.  Also, talk to your plastic surgeon about massage techniques.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Did I need a lift?

+1
From your photos it looks like 1. You have several more weeks to go before your implants drop down into position. Massaging the implants downward will help some but your main ally here is time 2. A lift might have helped some but borderline patients like you often prefer to risk the outcome a bit in order to avoid the scaring from a lift. 3. If you still don't like the shape in a year you can get a lift without any issues as a separate procedure. Given you are only 11 days out I doubt this will be necessary. Best of luck, Dr Kerr

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Sagging after breast augmentation

+1

Thank you for your question, I may have recommended a periareolar mastopexy augmentation for you, if you desired a perky look. However your implants appear to still be high which is normal after an augmentation. I would suggest massage a maybe a band to help positioning but what I do suggest is to speak with your surgeon about your recovery and see what he or she suggests. Time is probably truly your best treatment. .

Good luck!

Thomas B. Lintner, MD, FACS

Should Breast Look Saggy After Breast Augmentation?Answr:

+1

From your photos, I feel that you really needed a lift as well...Now you may get a bit of settling and your implant my drop a bit and look better with time....but probably not as much as you want. However, it they don't drop, you can still go back and have the lift done, just as a two-parter....

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants a little high 11 days post-op

+1

From the photos it does appear that the breast implants are sitting a little high at this point.  As your tissues (particularly the pectoralis major muscle) accomodate to the increased vomume and swelling goes down the implants will "settle" down into place better.  This can be further promoted by some downward massage of the implants, usaually started at about 2 weeks (when necessary).  I believe, as time goes by, you will be happier and happier with your results.

As stated prviously by another Plastic Surgeon, I would give it about 6 months before considering any kind of a revision.  But, if things are not to your satisfaction at that point, depending how things look, your surgeon may have to consider repositioning the implants or doing a small lift.

Best of luck, and stick with it.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Results?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

The breast appearance is not unusual for this stage in your recovery. You will find that it is very likely that the breast implants will “settle” over time,  rounding out the appearance of the breasts. Don't be surprised if you are very pleased with the results of surgery 3 to 6 months from now.

If for some reason the breast implant does not settle to your liking ( this should be evaluated 6 months to one year post operatively),  revisionary breast surgery may be necessary to improve the results. Exactly what procedure would be helpful will depend on the reason for the failure of descent of the breast implant.

I would suggest that you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon;  utilize any massage and/or use of bra strap that he/she recommends.

Breast augmentation

+1

There are insufficient details in your post to give you a definitive answer. 400cc implants come in different base diameters so different patients require different 400cc implants. The squared appearance you describe can be from too large an implant, inadequate muscle release/pocket development, blood or fluid in the implant pocket space or just a temporary appearance that resolves as the muscle relaxes to let the implant drop. The last scenario is more rapidly resolved with a breast band placed on the upper half of the breasts to push the implants down. Currently the best person to assess your condition is your surgeon.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD