What Could Happen if You Don't Take It Easy After Your Breast Augmentation Like You're Supposed To? (photo)

Hello! I am wondering what could happen if you don't take it easy after your Breast Augmentation like your supposed to? i.e. vacuuming, lifting more than 5-10lbs, someone said bending over??, etc. My husband had to leave me the day after surgery and I had to take care of myself and the dog for two weeks. I also hear other ladies who can't quite stop themselves from doing things after the surgery and so I am wondering how bad could it get? And for what duration? I had sub-pectoral, dual plane

Recovery from breast augmentation

Hello and thanks for the question.

Surgeon recommendations will vary widely for recovery from breast augmentation.  Consult with your surgeon for specifics and rationale.  In our practice, we encourage patients to refrain from upper body exercise ( including no lifting greater than 10 lbs) for a period of no less than a month.  Light lower body exercise may be undertaken at 2 weeks time.  The reason ?:  One of the post-operative risks of breast augmentation among a few, is bleeding.  In your case specifically ( that being a dual-plane breast augmentation), the pectoralis muscle is incised and raised off the chest wall.  Muscle in general is a very vascular tissue, meaning it has a lot of blood supply with vessels.  If the muscle is unduly irritated during the early healing process ( i.e. through exercise), bleeding may be a resultant - while this generally isn't life threatening bleeding, the blood, in itself, is thought to be one of the potential culprits of capsular contracture formation.  Hence, we advise that the upper body ( chest ) be rested during the early post-operative period to allow for an ample healing time.

Hope this helps,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Activity after Breast Augmentation?

Thank you for the question and picture.

More than likely, no harm has been done with your level of activity after breast augmentation surgery. Generally however patients are asked to “take it easy” after surgery to help avoid complications such as bleeding, undesired implant movement, and/or prolonged discomfort.

Again, based on your picture, it does not appear that any harm has been done;  I would suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Return to activity after breast augmentation

Eery surgeon is a bit different, but I prefer patients avoiding strenuous exercise for 3-4 weeks and heavy lifitng for about 6-8 weeiks afte rmost major surgery. I am most concerned with acitivities that can cause an elevation in blood pressure and result in a hematoma. You shold discuss this with your surgeon.

Breast augmentation recovery

Several complications may occur if you don't take it easy after your surgery, such as excessive swelling, hematoma and implant displacement, among other things. While you may be okay not taking it easy, you never know what could happen. Better safe than sorry. 

Too much activity after breast augmentation

Strenuous activity immediately after any surgery can result in increased discomfort as well as the possibility of stirring up bleeding which could result in a hematoma or blood clot in the breast pocket.  This might lead to another trip to the operating room to clean out the blood clot, find the point of bleeding, and stop it.  I always tell my patients to use common sense.  If you are doing something and it hurts, DON'T DO IT!  After three weeks, your body has gained 60 to 80% of its normal tissue strength and you can challenge it with more strenuous activity at that point.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

What Could Happen if You Don't Take It Easy After Your Breast Augmentation Like You're Supposed To?

The reason to "take it easy" is the possibility of hematoma formation, dislodgment of the implant, act. Why not call your operative surgeon to see what he/she says to this. 

Activity after breast augmentation

Every surgeon has his own post-op routine for breast augmentation patients.  I prefer no heavy lifting (over 10 lbs.) and no strenuous activity, especially anything high impact (jogging, aerobics), for about 4 weeks post-op.  Early on this is to prevent bleeding or implant displacement; the last couple of weeks it is to prevent implant displacement until the capsule is well-developed. 

Activity after Breast Augmenation

While my recommendations would have to be customized to each patient and the exact surgery they they had, in most cases, activity after breast augmentation is actually encouraged.  While I do not recommend push-ups or chin-ups for two weeks after surgery, mild house work and daily activities are usually fine.  However, you should clarify any instructions with your own doctor.

Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Breast augmentation and post op instructions

Thank you for your question. The reason why there are specific instructions for each surgical procedure is to avoid complication. The complication after breast augmentation can be bleeding, capsular contracture and implant malposition. Remember prevention is the best cure.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Early recovery after augmentation

I instruct my patients to "lay low" for a week after surgery in order to avoid post operative bleeding and moving the implants out of place. Check in with your own surgeon.