What Could Happen if You Don't Take It Easy After Your Breast Augmentation Like You're Supposed To? (photo)

Hello! I am wondering what could happen if you don't take it easy after your Breast Augmentation like your supposed to? i.e. vacuuming, lifting more than 5-10lbs, someone said bending over??, etc. My husband had to leave me the day after surgery and I had to take care of myself and the dog for two weeks. I also hear other ladies who can't quite stop themselves from doing things after the surgery and so I am wondering how bad could it get? And for what duration? I had sub-pectoral, dual plane

Recovery from breast augmentation

+4

Hello and thanks for the question.

Surgeon recommendations will vary widely for recovery from breast augmentation.  Consult with your surgeon for specifics and rationale.  In our practice, we encourage patients to refrain from upper body exercise ( including no lifting greater than 10 lbs) for a period of no less than a month.  Light lower body exercise may be undertaken at 2 weeks time.  The reason ?:  One of the post-operative risks of breast augmentation among a few, is bleeding.  In your case specifically ( that being a dual-plane breast augmentation), the pectoralis muscle is incised and raised off the chest wall.  Muscle in general is a very vascular tissue, meaning it has a lot of blood supply with vessels.  If the muscle is unduly irritated during the early healing process ( i.e. through exercise), bleeding may be a resultant - while this generally isn't life threatening bleeding, the blood, in itself, is thought to be one of the potential culprits of capsular contracture formation.  Hence, we advise that the upper body ( chest ) be rested during the early post-operative period to allow for an ample healing time.

Hope this helps,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Return to activity after breast augmentation

+4

Eery surgeon is a bit different, but I prefer patients avoiding strenuous exercise for 3-4 weeks and heavy lifitng for about 6-8 weeiks afte rmost major surgery. I am most concerned with acitivities that can cause an elevation in blood pressure and result in a hematoma. You shold discuss this with your surgeon.

Potential Consequences of "Overdoing it" after Breast Augmentation

+2

There are multiple reasons why most Plastic surgeons advise their patients to restrict their activities after Breast Augmentation surgery. A full recovery depends not only on the surgeon and surgical technique but on YOU and how fully you comply with your surgeon's instructions. Restricting activity in the immdiate post-surgery period is meant to reduce swelling, lower the risk of bleeding and breast implant displacements. As far as "how bad can it get" , it would all depend on WHICH complication you may suffer. While swelling would resolve, bleeding may require another operation and be associated with scarring around the implants. It is much better to just do what your surgeon asked you to do.

Peter A Aldea, MD
Memphis, TN

What Could Happen if You Don't Take It Easy After Breast Aug?(photo) ANS:

+2

I tell my patients not to do any bouncing type activity for at least 2 weeks after surgery. But prior to that, be up and move around, just never too heavy through the chest. I don't want to stir up any bleeding

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

What Could Happen if You Don't Take It Easy After Your Breast Augmentation Like You're Supposed To?

+2

I ask my patients to wear a surgical bra for a couple of weeks and to avoid raising their blood pressure for two weeks.

They may return to the gym two weeks after surgery, but must wear good support while exercising the upper body.

It is difficult to ask people to put their lives on hold for weeks and weeks, and my goal is to do the surgery in such a way that people can return to their normal activities as quickly as possible.

Your photo looks great.

All the best!

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Too much activity after breast augmentation

+2

Strenuous activity immediately after any surgery can result in increased discomfort as well as the possibility of stirring up bleeding which could result in a hematoma or blood clot in the breast pocket.  This might lead to another trip to the operating room to clean out the blood clot, find the point of bleeding, and stop it.  I always tell my patients to use common sense.  If you are doing something and it hurts, DON'T DO IT!  After three weeks, your body has gained 60 to 80% of its normal tissue strength and you can challenge it with more strenuous activity at that point.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

+2

The reason to "take it easy" is the possibility of hematoma formation, dislodgment of the implant, act. Why not call your operative surgeon to see what he/she says to this. 

Activity after breast augmentation

+2

Every surgeon has his own post-op routine for breast augmentation patients.  I prefer no heavy lifting (over 10 lbs.) and no strenuous activity, especially anything high impact (jogging, aerobics), for about 4 weeks post-op.  Early on this is to prevent bleeding or implant displacement; the last couple of weeks it is to prevent implant displacement until the capsule is well-developed. 

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Activity after Breast Augmenation

+2

While my recommendations would have to be customized to each patient and the exact surgery they they had, in most cases, activity after breast augmentation is actually encouraged.  While I do not recommend push-ups or chin-ups for two weeks after surgery, mild house work and daily activities are usually fine.  However, you should clarify any instructions with your own doctor.

Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Activity after Breast Augmentation?

+2

Thank you for the question and picture.

More than likely, no harm has been done with your level of activity after breast augmentation surgery. Generally however patients are asked to “take it easy” after surgery to help avoid complications such as bleeding, undesired implant movement, and/or prolonged discomfort.

Again, based on your picture, it does not appear that any harm has been done;  I would suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon.