Implant Ruptured, Should I Replace Both? Also, Saline or Gel?

I had a Breast Augmentation 7.5 years ago. Two days ago one ruptured. I have rescheduled the surgery for next week and am wondering if I should just replace both? This is what the PS is suggesting and also that I switch from Saline to the new Gel implants. Any advice?

Changing from saline to gel breast implants

+2

Perhaps the deflation is an opportunity in disguise.  It is common to replace one, or to replace both (size changes are also possible), or to switch to two new gel implants.  Changing to gel will mean no further deflation possibilities, and probably a better feeling set of implants. Any of these choices is reasonable.

Changing Ruptured Saline Implant

+1

Many surgeons will recommend that you replace both implants since you are at 7.5 years. Your old implant will require replacement sooner than the new one eventually.

As for the type of the implants, it is a matter of personal preference after careful evaluation that the patient should decide whether to go with saline or silicone implants.

The best of luck to you and thank you for your inquiry.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

+1

Generally, it is more prudent to exchange both implants. Depending on if you had extended coverage on your implants, you may eligible for reimbursement from the manufacturer of the breast implants. The gel implants do have a more natural feel, and many women prefer them to saline implants.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Should I Replace both My Breast Implants or Just the Ruptured Implant?

+1

Dear rij,

While no one can tell you exactly when your remaining implant will fail, you do know that it is 7.5 years old and is at higher risk of failure than a newer implant.  For this reason, many plastic surgeons will recommend replacement of both the failed implant and the intact implant at the same time-sort of like starting anew. This also allows the patient to consider changing the type of implant she has; as in from saline to silicone in your case.  You also may be able to change the implant size, profile, or position.  However, no one will tell you that you must change your intact implant if you do not wish to do so.  This is a decision that you and your plastic surgeon need to reach together.  Recovery from the second surgery is usually faster than the first time.  Good luck with your surgery.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon