Can Hair Transplant Improve Hair Density? (photo)

Can HT improve density of areas with thin hair? If yes, by how much? I would like to have the density improved vastly. By vastly I mean to the extent that it returns to the stage where I had "dense think chunks" of hair running through combs & the scalp had zero visibility even when hair was wet. I'm referring to the density of follicles per square unit area. Is this kind of "intense" density achievable through transplants? (My sides & back donor sites have dense hair). (Pic: desired density)

Hair Transplant Can Add Density

+1

Yes, hair transplant can improve density to areas of thinness on the scalp. However, the success or failure of hair transplant is determined by many variables; your cause of hair loss and age being the main concerns. If you suffer from male pattern baldness and are still at a young age, it may be inadvisable to undergo hair transplant, as the progressive nature of MPB will cause further hair loss. In fact, most surgeons will not operate on a person under the age of 24. If you are eager to have density restored and don’t want to wait until later in life, you must take into consideration that you would likely require a second procedure down the line. For now, I would recommend minoxidil or finasteride to prevent further thinning. But see a dermatologist or hair loss specialist first.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair Transplants to Thicken Hair

+1

Hair transplants should not be used to thicken hair in a portion of the scalp genetically programmed to have progressive alopecia. In fact transplants may actually shock the area and accelerate the genetically determined progression of  hair loss, so there is no net gain in density after a session of transplants. If density is your main concern, consider the Fleming/Mayer Flap procedure.

Transplants to thicken thin hair

+1

I have no idea how thin your hair is. But if it is due to hereditary male pattern baldness, you will lose more hair with time. It is not wise to transplant scalp hair to achieve the type of thickness you desire. You should be examined and counseled by a hair transplant specialist.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon