Grooming After Hair Transplantation

How long after hair follicular transplantation can one expect beging to use ahair dryer, hair wax/gel, can the hair be straightened, and can it be coloured? and can the follicles be taken from anywhere on the body?

Basic Hair Transplant Care

+3

My basic rule of thumb is: no chemicals for 5-6 weeks.

1. From 2nd-10th days: use gentle (baby) shampoo with the least amout of additives so the fresh transplant sites aren't irritated.
  2. After 2-3 weeks, you can go back to most regular shampoos.
  3. I advise my patients to do any hair coloring 2 weeks BEFORE their transplant, and the generally not again unitl 5-6 weeks after the transplant. By that time, the transplanted hairs will be in their "resting stage" before starting to grow out in the 3rd or 4th month.
  4. You should avoid using a hair dryer on the hottest setting for 2-3 weeks after surgery because your touch and temperature sensation can be numb for at leat that long after the transplant.
  5. You should avoid combing, brushing, or blow drying the hair (with even the cool setting) until the small scabs and flakes have gone away on their own.

Hope that helps.

San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Grooming Post Hair Transplant

+2

Our patients can use a hair dryer, wax, and hair gel 2 weeks after hair transplantation.  Chemical straightening/coloring at 6 weeks post.  Hair can be taken from other areas of the body but we find the highest level of patient satisfaction when the follicles are taken from the back or sides of the head.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Grooming Hair after Transplant

+2

After about two weeks I let patients resume normal hair care, but remember, the new grafts will not start growing hair for three to four months.  You certainly can groom the original hair that was there, but be careful to keep the hair dryer on a relatively low setting especially the first few weeks. Too much heat from the hair dryer can damage the follicles as they are acquiring their new blood supply the first few weeks.

Jack Fisher, MD

Existing hair can be styled 3-5 days after surgery

+2

To be conservative, I advise my patients to only run water over their hair for the first 1-3 days after surgery, toweling gently and letting the hair air dry. I do not recommending washing with shampoo and conditioner until 3 days after surgery, and even then they should be gentle with hair dryers and other vigorous hair styling techniques such as curling irons or flat irons. If you are a man it is probably safe to start using hair gel after 3-5 days but again try to minimized pulling or rubbing of the scalp. If you routinely color your hair, I would recommend getting it touched up 2-3 days before the surgery so you will not need to re-treat it for at least several weeks after your surgery (or answer any questions by your stylist!!)

The hair can be taken from other places on the body but one must understand the extreme variation in hair texture and caliber. For instance, body or pubic hair will not grow as long as scalp hair and thus is not an ideal match. While the procedure is technically possible, it is not highly recommended for issues related to cosmesis.

Nicole E. Rogers, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Re: Grooming After Hair Transplantation

+1

Hair will grow at a rate of about half and inch per month. So once your hair is long enough to benefit from styling products and tools, you can begin to use them. But be sure to treat the area gently, as your skin is still healing. After a procedure, hairs in the recipient area can fall out as they enter a telogen resting phase. Once this is done, new ones will grow.

Yes, follicles can be taken from just about anywhere on the body. This is actually a practice that does require a high degree of specialization. These follicles tend to be more delicate. Also there are certain tools and techniques (e.g. uGraft) that would help facilitate the highest standards in wound healing, which is quite important on visible areas of the body.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Grooming and Recovery after Hair Transplant

+1

I generally permit patients to begin washing their hair gently on the 2nd  post procedure day, and normally including application of hair product and full scrubbing on the 6th day.  Hair coloring / straightening is permitted on the 14th day.  Typically with FUG, the donor area is taken from the back of the scalp, but with the incisionless FUE technique, the hair can come from almost any part of the body where there is reasonably full hair.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post op care after hair transplant.

+1

Every doctor has her/his own protocol. In my practice, no coloring,wax.gels,straighteners for 2 weeks after the procedure. We rinse for the 1st week using baby shampoo. By day 7, we use conditioner and let it sit on the transplanted area  for 20 minutes to get rid of the scabbing and gentle message also begins at day 7 with baby shampoo. Dr Behnam

Ben Behnam, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Post hair transplant care

+1

The transplanted hair itself will not be long enough to style ,color , or be treated for about 4 months after a transplant. In certain situations, body hair can be extracted to be used to supplement scalp hair for scalp hair transplantation.

The existing,native ,non transplanted hair can be treated in the usual manner 3 weeks after a hair transplant.

I caution against any chemical straightening or relaxing of transplanted hair.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon