How Long After Facelift Surgery Can I Get a Hair Transplant into Facelift Scars?

Hello, I am scheduled to have hair transplant surgery nine weeks after facelift surgery. Is this too soon to have hair transplanted into the scars? Would waiting longer be better. Thank you very much for your advice.

Hair Transplant into Facelift Scars

+1

I typically wait four to six months before I put hair into facelift scars to allow these to be more mature.  Scars are very active for the first few months after surgery and I prefer the scars to be stable.

Hair Transplant into Facelift Scar

+1

First, it is usually possible to avoid any need for hair grafting into scarring when performing facelift surgery.  However, if you are a candidate for a transplant, I’d typically tell you to wait a minimum of 2 to 3 months to give the hairs some time to grow out and the scar to mature.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Work closely with your Facial and Hair Surgeon

+1

All incisions take time to heal, and time to "mature". That means that any scar starts out looking more unsightly, and if taken care of, will slowly fade away. That process really does require 6 months, even up to a year. There are some cases in which we can see early on that (for rare reasons), facelift incisions are not going to heal well. And by 3-4 months after the facelift, it is readily apparent, so theoretically a Hair Transplant could be considered then. That being said, in the cast majority of cases without complications, if the incisions are planned carefully, facelift scarring should not be a major problem. But Hair Transplantation can help cover incisions that have become more visible over time as hair is lost or becomes thin.

Manu Gujrati, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplant after Facelift into Scars

+1

You may be able to give it a try. However at 9 weeks the facelift scars have not matured and it may not be possible to actually tell if any transplantation work will be needed.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplants to Hide Facelift Scars

+1

Hair Transplants should not be necessary to hide properly placed facelift incisions; consider a scar revision.  If normal hair distribution has been altered, wait about 6 months before having hair replacement surgery.

Hair transplant and facelift scar

+1

I would definitely wait 3 months because you need to allow blood vessels to vascularize the scar otherwise the hair grafts after a hair transplant will not take.  I have many patients like you and do hair transplants on and they look great afterwards. Good luck, Dr. Behnam.

Ben Behnam, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair transplants and facelift scars.

+1

You should not need hair transplants to be placed in the facelift scars if they are done well. The hair can be buried along the back hairline and is not needed in front of the ear if  the surgeon goes inside the ear.