Can You Have Hair Transplant Surgery if You Are Taking Celexa?

it states on websites that tricyclic anti depressants must be stopped 2 weks before surgery but how about ssri's?

Hair Transplant and Depression

+2

TCA's have very different pharmacology than SSRI's.  TCA's have many interactions with medications that SSRI's do not.  I do not know of any reason to stop SSRI's prior to hair transplantation.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

SSRI Antidepressants & hair transplants

+1
Celexa (citalopram) is an SSRI type medication that does not need to be stopped for most patients who undergo a hair transplant. Be sure to check with your surgeon for specific guidance. 

Jeff Donovan, MD, PhD
Toronto Dermatologist

Hair Transplant Surgery and SSRIs

+1

Patients first have a one-on-one consultation with a surgeon, who should explain what to expect before and after the procedure. Once a patient decides to move forward, he is given detailed preparation instructions. This includes what medications to avoid, which does not include SSRIs. But again, you should consult and defer to your transplant doctor of physician

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair transplant and anti-depressants

+1

I do not have any of my patients stop any antidepressants prior to hair transplant surgery. I do not see any problems with continuing it. Dr. Behnam

Ben Behnam, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Antidepressants Before Surgery

+1

I generally do not have patients stop antidepressants before surgery. However, this is something you must discuss with your specific surgeon.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stopping Celexa Prior to Hair Transplant Surgery

+1

There is no medical reason to stop Celexa prior to your hair transplant opertion. You will get a list of medications to avoid before any surgery, including drugs that intefer with blood clotting. Enjoy the new hair.

Stopping Celexa (Citalopram) before hair transplant

+1

There may be some significant side effects with stopping Celexa before hair transplant.  Most of the SSRI's need to be weaned down.  There is no need though to stop it prior to the transplant as this medication will not interfere with the procedure.

Kenneth L. Stein, MD

No Need to Stop TCAs or SSRIs prior to Hair Transplant

+1

I know of no reasons to stop anti-depressants before hair restoration.  I simply do not see a need to do that.

best,

dr. sam lam

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Celexa and Hair Transplants

+1

There is no reason I know of to stop this medication. However, hair transplantation may make you feel so great you may want to stop it after!

Barry Resnik, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Hair transplantation and antidepressants.

+1

We do not have our hair grafting or hair flap patients stop this medication before surgery and have not had any problem.