Will a Full Tummy Tuck Tighten my Pecks Any?

I have lost almost 100 pounds in the last year, from 265 to 175. I am a 19 year old male. I have scheduled a full tummy tuck for June. And I am planning to be 165 by then. My doctor said that it would tighten my stomach and upper abdomen above my belly button, but I was wondering if it will tighten my chest area as well?

Will Tummy Tuck Tighten Pecks?

+1

Thank you for your question. The chest will not be affected in any significant way. Only a perception change may occur in comparison with the abdomen. You need to have surgery there to impact it significantly. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Tightening Chest

+1

The tummy tuck will not tighten the chest.  If you have loose skin on the chest it needs to be addressed separately usually by removing skin inferiorly and repositioning the areolae more superiorly.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy tuck will not tighten chest area.

+1

Hi.

After such drastic weight loss (congratulations!), you probably have some excess skin in the chest which needs to be corrected separately.  This can be difficult. For most men, the best approach is to remove skin around the nipples, which leaves minimal scars.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tummy tuck will not tighten pecs

+1

No. The tummy tuck will not tighten your pecs. It will tighten the skin between the pubic bone and the lower border of the ribs and xiphoid (lowest part of breast bone). The surgeon can also tighten the 2 rows of abs together if they are spread apart (rectus diastasis). If you want to tighten the pec region, you would need a separate skin excision there. Typically I make an incision along the lower border of the pecs and pull the excess skin down and remove it, and leave the nipple attached below and bring it out through the new position after the skin is tightened. This is obviously done very differently in a man because the attractive nipple shape and position in a man is different than in a woman. If there is excess breast tissue that can be reduced or removed as well. This can typically be done at the same time as a tummy tuck. I would ask your surgeon about this, and also make sure you are having this type of surgery with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Congratulations on your success! It is a huge achievement!

Anita Patel, MD

Tighter pecks

+1

Great work on the weight-loss!  An tummy tuck can tighten your upper and lower abdomen area however, as the other posts state - you cannot tighten the chest area without a secondary procedure that can sometimes be performed at the same time.  

You may also have some options when it comes to the actual procedure for tightening and sculpting your chest.   I will use what is called RFAL to reduce the volume in the tissue while still contracting the skin, keeping it looking tight and smooth.  This may or may not be an option for you and it is advised that you seek the medical advice of a plastic cosmetic surgeon in your area.  

Good luck with the rest of your weight-loss and body contouring goals.  

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Tightening the Chest Area with a Tummy Tuck

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss. An abdominoplasty is an excellent way to reduce the extra skin ton the abdomen. However, it will not do anything for the chest area. You will need a separate procedure for that. Whether they can be done at the same time depends on a lot of factors that only your surgeon can determine.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty

+1

Great job on the weight loss.The abdominoplasty will improve the abdomen not the chest.The chest would either require a procedure on the chest or for ou to build up the pectoral muscles.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Tummy tuck

+1

No, a tummy tuck will not tighten your pecs. Depending on the laxity, there are things that can be done, but an abdominoplasty will not help.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tucks have no affect on the chest

+1

Congratulations on the weight loss!  That is a great achievement.  There will be no benefit to the chest area from a tummy tuck though.  Totally separate thing.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS