Can An Abdominal Binder Cause Increase In Blood Pressure?

I’m a 40 year old male and I had full abdominoplasty and an umbilical hernia repaired four weeks ago. Since the surgery my blood pressure has been too high. They kept me in the hospital a few days longer because it went up so high. They had a cardiologist see me and she prescribed blood pressure medication. It’s not getting much better so now I’m wondering if the compression from the abdominal binder can cause blood pressure to rise. Can abdominal compression cause an increase in blood pressure?

Abdominal Binder Cause Increase In Blood Pressure?

+1

Thank you for your question. It may cause a small change from the pressure or even from the pain it may cause. Talk with your cardiologist and your medication may need some adjustments to dial the correct dosage. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal Binder Causing Increased Blood Pressure

+1

Taking the binder off and then checking the blood pressure could determine if this has any relevance whatsoever.  It is probably a combination of unrecognized high blood pressure and possibly pain.  Hard to say, but your blood pressure needs to be controlled to prevent hematomas in the short term and for your health in the long term.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

This seems very unlikely. Pain is a more likely cause. You will need to see your cardiologist for further evaluation and for additional meds if the pressure remains elevated. 

All the best. 

Compression garment and high blood pressure

+1

A compression garment should not be causing blood pressure evaluation.  You need to be worked-up for your high blood pressure.

Can An Abdominal Binder Cause Increase In Blood Pressure

+1

An abdominal binder does not usually cause an increase in blood pressure. You need a full workup for hypertension if your pressure remains high.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal Binder & Hypertension

+1

It is not likely that your hypertension is caused by the abdominal binder (although the binder could cause an increase in venous pressure in your lower extremities if applied too tightly).  Pain or more likely labile hypertension is responsible for the increased blood pressure.

John Whitt, MD

Blood pressure with abdominal binder

+1

Many thanks for very rare question. Blood pressure do have a link with renal and adrenals ( kidney and the small organ siting above it) .Some pathology in these organs that are under compression after using abdominal binders can raise your blood pressure. you need more investigations to define the cause for such a changes and to find out if these organs are ok or they are having some pathology. Wish you good luck.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon