How to Find a Doctor Familiar With Temporalis Hypertrophy Botox Injections?

Botox for TMJ

+1

You might ask your primary care doctor to ask some ENT doctors who they would recommend. Some specialize in TMJ syndrome. As a cosmetic dermatologic surgeon, I do not treat this condition as I don't have the experience and I don't want to create an unbalance from one side to the other as that could cause a malalignment which could exacerbate the symptoms.

+1

IMHO, find an experienced plastic and cosmetic surgeon who has been using Botox for many years.  I've used Botox for 25 years to reduce facial lines and wrinkles as well as modify the size and shape of facial muscles.  A knowledge of the anatomy is paramount for accurate placement of the Botox in the Temporalis muscle, IMHO.  

I've been injecting the Temporalis Muscle with Botox for 18 years

+1

One of the first areas I started treating with Botox in 1994 was the Temporalis area.  This was done for TMJ disease to weaken the "chewing" muscles to improve the associated headaches and muscle strain.  You should look for a physician who treats TMJ with Botox. Keep in mind that the joint pain from TMJ arthritis or disc disease in no much improved with Botox, but the tension headaches and aches of the "muscles of masication" is improved.

Steven F. Weiner, MD