When Injecting Botox for Forehead Wrinkles, What Are the Chances of the Botox Travelling to the Lungs?

I have quite severe asthma in the sense that it is quite impredictible (even though my PEF is excellent), and it sometimes worsens very quickly. I am interested in getting botox, and my doctor insists that there are no risks to the lungs when botox is injected in the forehead or crowd feet. But I am really doubtful about this, since I have read that there have been deads related to Botox. I have also read that Botox can cause pneumonia, what is the explanation for this?

Will forehead Botox injections effect the lungs?

+1

Botox is a medicine that is injected into the specific muscle.  It is designed not to "travel" anywhere.  As of this writing, I do not know of any case of forehead or crows feet  injection of cosmetic Botox effecting the lungs.

Botox not likely to cause diaphragmatic paralysis

+1

When injected properly in the forehead, Botox is not likely to be injected intravenously for it to cause paralysis of the diaphragm, affecting breathing.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Botox wont "travel" to your lungs

+1

Botox injected in cosmetic doses poses no risk to systemic spread. Botox as a drug does not cause pneumonia. See a reputable Doctor in your area who can explain the possible complications

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Risk of Botox traveling to the lungs?

+1

The chances of this happening are extraordinarily rare, less than 0.1%.  Botox is derived from Botulinum Toxin Type A. Allergan states that a potential side effect of Botox is having the toxin spread away from the injection site and through the body.  This is extremely rare when a treatment with Botox is performed properly. When Botox is administered for cosmetic purposes, it is specifically injected in a given area to address the muscles causing wrinkles.   Botox has been FDA approved to treat certain issues. When it is used properly by a trained physician for these approved purposes, you really have nothing to worry about.  Any side effects experienced are associated with the injection site, and may include the following:

1) Slight bruising
2) Swelling
3) Temporary ptosis (drooping of the eyelid)
4) Allergic reaction at the injection site
5) Muscle stiffness near the injection site
6) Headache

Thanks and I hope this helps!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox travelling

+1

The risk of Botox travelling to your lungs are nil, none, and zero, in that order ;)

Make sure you see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon for your injections to make sure you have the optimal balance of efficacy and safety, as they are knowledgeable not only in beauty, but also very important, anatomy.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial Botox Traveling to Lungs?

+1

There is no chance that the small amounts of Botox injected into forehead wrinkles will migrate to your chest muscles/lungs. Go to a certified cosmetic surgeon or dermatologist that you feel comfortable with. 

Anifat Balogun, MD

Botox in the Face Travelling to the Lungs

+1

Botox injected into the facial muscles will not travel to your lungs.  If you read about any medications/vitamins or devices on the internet, you will find reports listed from rashes to deaths.  Please go to a reputable injector though so you will be pleased with your results.

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Botox and Asthma

+1

Greetings Lorean~

If you are considering Botox for the Forehead and Crows Feet, there should be no concerns about it effecting your lungs or your asthma.  The things you may have read about were not as a result of patients being treated for cosmetic indications such as yours.  Botox Cosmetic has a very safe history with millions of injections having been performed. 

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Cosmetic Botox is very safe

+1

Cosmetic Botox is very safe when done by trained physicians. It won't travel to the lungs. It's injected into the facial muscles only and doesn't move from there. There are lots of "scary" facts about all cosmetic procedures but the majority of that comes from fear and misinformation - or from people who did procedures at bad places. Go to a respectable physician and you shouldn't have any of these issues. It's very safe!

F. Victor Rueckl, MD