Botox After Care?

Do I really have to sit up for 4 hours after Botox? Do I need to make the required facial gestures continuously for 4 hours? Why do I have to do this? What if I don't? What if I lay down? What will happen?

Aftercare for Botox

Physicians have generally advised over the past decade or so that patients not lay down flat or rub the affected area for 4hrs, and to use the muscles for the first little while (whatever that means). Some physicians advise a longer period of time, while many others don't feel there is much of a difference whether you follow this advice or not.  Most likely, there is no real aftercare required, but I would follow whatever your physician injector has advised you.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox after care

Thank you for your question. I typically focus my aftercare on restricting activities that make you hot, sweaty or flushed: Examples include strenuous activities, alcohol, saunas, hot baths, etc… This will increase your chance of bruising. If no bruising, by the next day, the you should be good to go. If there is, then I recommend another day to make sure the bruise is not getting worse. I am not as worried about the not laying down after four hours.

Botox after care

I advise my patients to not rub the injected areas for a few hours.  Other than that, I have no restrictions post-injection.

Clyde Mathison, MD
Knoxville Otolaryngologist

Botox and facial gestures

You should not rub or massage the treated area for 4 hours after your injections to prevent spreading of your Botox.  You are supposed to sit upright so you don't fall asleep and rub by accident.  It is advisable to make facial gestures to help Botox get into the treated muscles effectively. 

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox after care

We have been using Botox in our practice for over 12 years. We do not have the patients do anything special after treatment, although we still advise them to not lie down for up to 4 hours afterwards.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox aftercare

After Botox treatment there is no specific after care required. Obviously we ask our patients not to massage or manipulate the areas for the first day but no facial exercises or physical restrictions are required

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox is bound to the muscle after 90 minutes.

Botox is bound to the muscle after 90 minutes.  I generally recommend to sit upright for the first 90 minutes to minimize the risk of diffusion.  This is a very remote possibility, but has been documented. I do recommend not to rub or massage the area. Otherwise, there are no restrictions after treatment. 

Botox After Care

The rationale for the recommendation to sit up comes from Allergan who advises that by doing so reduces the probability that toxins will move down to the eyelids.  This is a rare but documented occurence.

We generally recommend common sense. Minimize massage and manipulation of the injected areas. Otherwise, you can proceed with your daily activities.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Patients can do anything after Botox except have the area massaged afterwards!

Patients can lie down, exercise, go to sleep or anything they want after Botox treatments. The only thing they should avoid after an injection is direct massage to the area treated for 48 hours.

Carla R. Retief, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

I let my patients do anything they want after botox

i have been injecting Botox almost since it was approved. i have never limited any activity

after the injection. i let my patients get facials and go to the gym and i have never had a problem. i think there is little to no evidence that you can affect the Botox after it is injected.

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon