Do You Recommend Fillers to Smooth out an Old Burn Scar?

I have been advised to use fillers to smooth out an old burn scar and a kind of 'dip' in the skin around the eye area. Do you see this as being helpful? And how deep should the injection be?

Dermal fillers for scarring

+3
Dermal fillers are used to perform one task well, and that is to fill in depressions of the skin. You can have more filler added in some areas to help restore volume to an area, but, the bottom line is that Dermal fillers fill. If you have a depressed scar a dermal filler will help with the shadows the scar creates on your skin, but, dermal fillers will be less effective in changing the texture and color of the burned skin. The beauty of hyaluronic acid dermal fillers is that they can be reversed immediately if the result is not what you had hoped for. Good luck.

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers to smooth out an old burn scar

+2

It could help reduce uneven areas, but to change overall appearance, I doubt the effect would be worth the expense. Go see certifed burn care and injector specialists. Happy New Year

Fillers for burn scars

+2

Without seeing the type and location of the scar, it is still highly unlikely that fillers would be an appropriate treatment for the scars. The fillers original indication is not for scars but for facial wrinkles. As such, they are meant to restore the appearance of lost volume from wrinkles and most likely will not improve the scar's appearance.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers for burn scars?

+2

I personally have not seen fillers used for this purpose but I can see it as valuable if there are depressions that would look better if filled in. These injections would need to be repeated and the scar may restrict the ability to plump up the area, but it might be worth a try. Can't hurt....

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Burn scars and fillers

+1

I have not heard of using fillers for burn scars. But fillers can be used for any depressed region. This may camouflage the area of depression.