Doctor Recommended Scar Cream?

What scar cream or product would you lovely doctors on realself recommend? Anything out there that actually works to reduce the size, thickness, and/or discoloration of a scar?

I recommend InviCible Scars

+2

The few scar cream ingredients that are backed by scientific studies are:

1) Vitamin C
2) Silicone gel
3) Some natural plant extracts like aloe vera and licorice extract

InviCible Scars contains all of these.

Both vitamin C and silicone help healthy collagen production by the skin which is essential for optimal scar healing. Vitamin C also works very well for decreasing the red or brown discoloration seen with a lot of scars.

Silicone also decreases the production of abnormal collagen that can cause thick, raised scars (which can lead to hypertrophic and keloid scars).

If you choose a product with vitamin C ensure that it contains a "stable" form C. Most forms of vitamin C used in skin care products are unstable and quickly turn brown after the container is opened. This is a sign that the vitamin C has become oxidized and therefore no longer works. Products that are brown to begin with should probably be avoided as many manufacturers color the cream brown so that users cannot tell when the cream becomes oxidized. I would recommend avoiding any vitamin C products that are brown to begin with.

In terms of natural options, aloe vera accelerates wound healing, decreases inflammation, stimulates new skin growth through amino acids, and promotes healing in the deepest skin layers. Licorice extract is also a strong anti-inflammatory, accelerates skin renewal, and lightens the hyper-pigmentation seen with some scars. Interestingly, licorice also boosts the scar-lightening effects of vitamin C so the 2 should be used together whenever possible.

Also be sure to apply sun block over your scar treatment of choice to protect the scar from the sun. Prolonged sun exposure can cause permanent scar redness.

******

Disclaimer: I am the Chief Science Officer of C&H Scientific, makers of InviCible Scars Advanced Scar Treatment.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Scar creams

+1

I do not find any creams to be of particular use for scars. I usually recommend a good sun screen to both moisturize the skin and protect it from the sun.

I like emu oil for scars

+1

While there is no scientific evidence that is convincing to me between all the scar treatments available, I have been impressed by the results from using emu oil over the last 8 years. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Scar creams or lotions or ointments.

+1

There are no prodcuts to asuure consistent and reliable improvement in the appearance of scars. Avoidance of sunexposure is important and should be accomplished with high SPF sunblocks. Silicone gel is another effective ingredient in promoting the maturation of scars. Other than that, Vitamin K, Vitamin E, aloe vera, cocoa butter, coenzyme Q10, green tea extract, etc are all produts that may sound good but are essentially unproven.