Does Dermatix Silicone Gel Work for Surgery Scar?

i've had a breast lift and augemntaion one year ago but i still have a little red thick scar on the side of my breast...can an old one year scar still be healed while using scar silicone gels or is it too late since the scars are old...does dermatix silicone gel helps?

Scar therapy with silicone gels

+2

Silicone can be beneficial to longstanding scars. The exact mechanism of action is unknown as is thought to possibly be related to the electrical charge although temperature, moisture, oxygen deprivation, pressure may also be contributing factors.

Use of sunscreens is also advised.

Excessive application can lead to maceration and fungal infection.

Use of silicone gels for scars

+1

Silicone gels for scars can provide some modest benefit to soften and reduce scarring. They are not magic, and often there are other better options your physician can discuss with you to improve scarring: laser resurfacing, cortisone injections, scar revision etc. For a thick, red scar, cortisone injections or pulse-dye laser can be quite effective.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar treatment with silicone gels

+1

Some studies have shown that scars can take up to two years or perhaps longer to fully mature. Silicone gel sheeting has been shown to be an effective adjuvant (additional) treatment for hypertrophic or raised scars. It exerts a pressure effect on the scar that can result in clinical improvement of the scars even as old as two years so I would recommend the use of them. You also might want to ask your surgeon about laser treatments which can also help. I hope this information helps.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar treatment

+1

Some scars can stay red for more than a year, and yes some silicone treatments may help or any form of pressure dressing like paper tape or steristrips.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.