I Can Feel the Implant on my Right Side, is This Normal?

I can feel the implant (650cc gel) on the right side in the cleavage and down around the bottom. My Dr says this is normal, that there wasnt as much fat tissue on this side as on the left side. But I am worried about this. Is the implant going to move? Or need replacing at a later date since I can feel it? It has been 5 weeks since surgery. I have had saline implants 17 yrs before and just replaced with 650cc gel.

Feeling the implant

+2
The cmobination of a large implant and not much fat coverage wil result in the implant being palpable under the skin. However, if the pocket has been properly dissected to the correct size, the implant will not move.

It is normal to feel a breast implant

+2

During a breast self examination it is normal to be able to feel very small lumps in the breast, and yes, it is normal to be able to feel a breast implant, especially a very large one. The available cover will determine just how easily you can feel the edges. The implant will not move, and gel implants too can have a palpable edge or ripple.

Feeling Breast Implants After Augmentation Is Normal, Sometimes

+1

Whether or not a patient will be able to feel a breast implant after breast augmentation surgery depends on the both the amount of breast tissue that a patient starts with as well as the location that the implant is placed. Subglandular implants can often be felt around the entirety of the device. For this reason, and because I think it looks more natural, I prefer to place implants below the pectoralis muscle. However, even when implants are placed below the muscle, patients can sometimes feel the device in the lower outer quadrant since the pectoralis muscle does not exist in that location.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Normal to Feel Breast Implants?

+1

Yes, it can be normal to feel breast implants (especially larger ones) on certain areas of the breast. Hopefully, this will not progress to the point where the implants are significantly displaced. I would suggest that you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Palpable implants

+1

Larger implants and not too much soft tissue coverage can lead to great palpability.  Sometimes strattice or fat can be used to camouflage this a bit.