Too Much Cartilage Graft on Nose Tip or Swelling?

I had a Rhinoplasty and had cartilage grafts placed on each side of my nose tip, up above my nostrils. I'm two weeks out from surgery. As the swelling has gone down, one side of the nose the graft is visible and more pronounced. Will the graft-swelling go down as my nose swelling goes down? Could this mean the graft was mis-shaped or too large?

Nasal grafts - 2 weeks

+1

2 weeks is too soon to tell what your final nasal shape will be.  It's not uncommon for the nasal swelling to go down on one side of the nose faster than the other.  So don't worry!  Be patient.  It will take a few months before you will see the final result.  If you have any concerns, you should definitely talk to your rhinoplasty surgeon.  I'm sure he or she will be happy to discuss with you any questions you may have.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Will have better idea once swelling dissipates

+1

Since it has only been two weeks from the surgery the nose is still quite swollen, and it is impossible to say how your nose will look at this point. Full healing of the nose takes approximately one year to see the final result. There is even further refinement even in the second or third year after the surgery. The cartilage graft can be shaved down, softened and morcellized with a touchup procedure at one year after the surgery.

Not as plain as the nose on your face

+1

Seattle,

At two weeks out from rhinoplasty surgery no critical evaluation can be made.  There is still significant swelling present, which will affect the appearance.  Follow up with your surgeon and be patient.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

You have to give Rhinoplasty more time

+1

At two weeks after surgery, the tip is often more swollen on one side as compared to the other side. This usually changes significantly as a few more weeks go by.  Be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon so you can monitor the cartilage graft during the postoperative period. Good luck.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

The nasal shape will change with time

+1

Two weeks is too early to determine the result of a rhinoplasty. It takes more liket 6 - 12 montsh to see the final shape of the nasal tip. You mention that a fat graft was performed. This is very unusual graft to place on the nasal tip and it would not give you much definition of the nasal tip, it would only provide volume. It is more llkely that a cartilage graft was actually used. You plastic surgeon would be in the best position to determine if the graft has been properly placed or if there is a problem.

Too soon to make any judgement.

+1

It will take at least 6 months to 12 months before you can make any determination about the final result. The swelling will subside each week and relax in the mean time.

Fat Grafts after Rhinoplasty

+1

It is too early to judge from your 2-week appearance what the final results may look like. Fat grafting to the nasal tip is somewhat unusual - are you sure that your rhinoplasty surgeon did not use cartilage?

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Any thing you see now will certainly change over time.

+1

Two weeks is just too soon to evaluate the result of your rhinoplasty. After 6 months you will be able to judge the end result. About 6-8 weeks you will be getting an idea of where you are headed but don't let any one touch your nose for at least 6 months. 

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD