Nose Tip Numbness Permanent 2 Years After Rhinoplasty?

I had a Rhinoplasty two years ago. I wanted a tip that was bit more refined; the original was bulbous. But, I was advised that as long as my tip is numb, it wasn't the final result. However, it's still numb two years after the operation. Does that mean I've been left with permanent numbness?

Numbness and rhinoplasty

+1
In general, almost all noses are numb right after a rhinoplasty. In most cases its the tip that is numb, but this numbness can extend down to the upper lip, and in rare cases some of the teeth. There are nerves that are cut and stretched during a rhinoplasty, and it takes a long time for those nerves to start working again. This is true of an open as well as closed rhinoplasty, although it tends to be more extensive in open rhinoplasty. This could also be more extensive if a septoplasty is performed at the same time. This, along with the swelling, gives you a stiff, plastic type feel, and can give you an odd smile. However, the nerves will start working and again, and your nose stiffness will go away with time. This takes in most cases months, but can take years in rare cases. Extremely rarely, the numbness is permanent, although I have never seen such as case.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Numbness of the tip of the nose

+1

Unfortunately, if it is now 2 years after your surgery and you're still numb, then it is going to be permanent. You also are seeing the final result for your nose.

John Diaz, MD

Rhinoplasty and nasal tip numbness

+1

Gazalle,

Thanks for the question. There are no certainties in life or surgery, but it would be safe to say that if the nasal tip numbness is present after two years, there is a high likelihood that this is a permanent finding. I would consult with your plastic surgeon to review this issue with him/her, as they know the specifics of your particular case.

Best of luck.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

After 2 years, nasal tip numbness is permanent.

+1

Hi! We do a fair number of rhinoplasties in New York City, and I can tell you that permanent numbness of the tip of the nose is very unusual. But you can assume that after 2 years, it is permanent, unfortunately.

After 2 years, the shape of your nose also is the final result. So I hope you like the shape, at least!

There is no treatment for the numbness.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)