Tanning After Rhinoplasty

How long does one have to wait after having a Rhinoplasty to tan?

Depends on the scar

+2

For most open rhinoplasties I recommend avoiding direct sunlight until the pinkness of the scar has faded to white. For a closed rhinoplasty, where there are no visible incisions, then six weeks. I believe that with a good hat and adequate sunblock you should be able to enjoy the outdoors soon after surgery.

Medford Plastic Surgeon

For the rest of your life. ;-)

+2

The smark aleck answer is that you should never tan. Seriously, though, there's no such thing as a healthy tan. I doubt you'll find any surgeons on this site suggesting that it's okay to cook yourself in the sun. Tanning and other excessive UV exposure leads to premature aging of the skin, wrinkles, dyspigmentation, skin cancer, etc.

For my rhinoplasty patients, I especially emphasize that they avoid tanning or burning the midcolumellar incision for at least the first six months lest they risk permanently pigmenting the incision. This means that a good sunblock is critical if a patient is going to be out on the water or at the beach where there can also be a lot of reflected UV light.

--DCP

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wait one month after surgery

+1

It is acceptable to get tanning on the nose one month after a rhinoplasty. It is still not a good idea to have tanning since it has been shown to form skin cancer.

6 weeks after Rhinoplasty

+1

I would recommend six weeks, but please use sunblock or wear a hat for at least one year. The new scar will be sensitive to the UV light and may become dark if over exposed.