Do I Have an Unusual Case of Large Tuberous Breasts? (photo)

After suspecting for years that I have tuberous breasts, I had a consultation with a PS. His opinion was that I have some degree of the deformity, but he didn't seem completely confident in diagnosing me with it since most tuberous breasts are small. Because of his uncertainty, I would like the opinions of more doctors about my condition and treatment options. Do I have a case of larger-than-normal tuberous breasts? I am 25, have never been pregnant, and have had no major weight fluctuations.

+2

Regardless of what you call it (and I believe that yes, you have features typically classified as "tuberous" or tubular breasts), a combination of augmentation and peri-areolar lift can lower the inframammary crease, expand the lower pole, and lift the areolae.  A similar patient is shown in the attached link before and a couple of months after.

Large tuberous breasts with asymmetry can be well corrected.

+2

Hi.

1)  You definitely have tuberous breasts.  The definition of tuberous breasts is  a)  constricted base of the breast, where the breast meets the chest, and  b)  huge areolas.  Also the breasts being far apart is part of the picture.

2)  Your left breast is a little larger and a little more sagging.

3)  The important question is :  How to correct them?  I recommend a modified vertical breast lift (Lejour technique), with lollipop scars.  This operation shapes and lifts the breast tissue FROM THE INSIDE to create a more conical contour, does not rely on pulling the skin (skin stretches!), and usually produces very good LONG TERM shape.

4)  You do not need implants.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tuberous Breast Deformity

+1

Yes most tuberous breasts are small, but you definitely have all of the other symptoms of tuberous breasts including a high riding fold underneath the breasts, widely spaces breasts and herniation of the breast tissue into the nipple causing a very wide nipple appearance.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Label of "Tuberous Breast" Not Necessarily Helpful

+1

Thank you for your photograph and question.  Your pictures show that you have a high inframammary fold and a wide distance between your breasts.  These are just some of the characteristics of a tuberous breast.  You can have an excellent result with a breast lift and you may choose to have an implant if you desire a larger size.  Calling your breasts "tuberous" is not really helpful in deciding how to get youa good outcome.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

New alternate technique for tuberous breasts

+1

Your breasts are very ptotic, too far apart with large areolas.  You would benefit from a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to place the implant, reshape your breast tissue to increase upper pole fullness and move the breast more medial to increase cleavage.  Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant high on the chest wall over the bony prominence will give you the maximum anterior projection with a minimal size implant.  Whether you have a case of tuberous breasts or not is irrelevant.  You would be an excellent candidate for this new technique, which leaves no vertical scars like the lollipop or boat anchor shaped incisions.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Vertical augmentation/mastopexy works well for tuberous breasts.

+1

Yes, you have pretty classic tuberous breasts.  I find that a vertical mastopexy and implants work well in this situation.  The excess breast tissue under the areaola is removed this way (converting tuberous breasts to non-tuberous breasts), the volume is restored using implants, and the areola is made much smaller, with minimal skin tension.  The technical name for this operation is a vertical augmentation/mastopexy.  Some other techniques such as a periareolar mastopexy do not tend to work as well and can create an operated appearance around the areola because of skin tension.  I've attached a link to my website.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

+1

You may have tuberous breasts, but they are not classic in that sense. Regardless of what you want to call it, you can correct it with a lift if you want to. A breast lift (mastopexy), will lift the breast, round out the shape, and make the nipple areolar complex smaller.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Yes you have tuberous breasts

+1

There are numerous forms of any condition and you have deflated tuberous breasts.  There are ways to improve this with lifts and implants but this is not an easy starting point in breast surgery.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tuberous breasts

+1

There are a number of features that define a tuberous breast:

•Wide and puffy areolae
•widely spaced breasts
•high breast fold
•constricted lower pole (deficient tissue in lower half of the breast
•minimal breast tissue
•high breast fold
•narrow base of the breast

It is not necessary to have all of these to carry the diagnosis, and you have all the rest on the list, so I would have no issue with saying you have tuberous breasts. 

But whatever you call it does not change the treatment. If your size is satisfactory, doing a breast lift, perhaps with some reduction of what appears to be a larger left breast seems best. A vertical (lollipop) lift would probably do best, though that decision would be best done at a consultation. 

If you wish to be larger, you would do well to receive implants, either at the time of the lift, or several months later. 

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Unusal case of tuberous breasts

+1

Actually you do not have a tuberous breast, which is characterized by a constricted and tight skin envelope, and high and sharp breast fold, and most important a relative herniation of the nipple which will mushroom forward through the tight skin envelope. Those that say otherwise might be misinformed. You can improve your breast shape with a lift to raise the nipple and reduce the areola, however be certain you understand the scar.