In-office Breast Lift Revision?

Is it reasonable to think that an in-office procedure can correct significant asymmetry after my BA with BL two months ago? Left breast is lower, larger, and heavier than right. My surgeon says he can do a revision in his office to bring that nipple an inch higher and even them up. Can this also correct the disparity in size? My right breast was always smaller... why didn't he use two different sized implants to begin with? He has 30 years experience, I thought that should count for something.

Office breast revision

+2

First be patient. Wait for another month of healing before pursuing revision surgery. Many changes occur in the first three months after surgery. Next, get one surgery to complete all of the revisions necessary.  If you have a size discrepancy at that time then the implant can be adjusted at that time.  It is likely that you will require anesthesia if these things need to be done.  While I agree that minor revisions are easily done in the office, make sure you are getting what you need for a complete result.  Good Luck

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift revision

+2

Yes minor revisions can be done in the office under local anesthesia. These types of revisions usually involve skin excision only. To determine if an office revision would be reasonable in your case I would need to see photos. In general it is difficult to correct a large discrepancy under local anesthesia.

Lisa M. DiFrancesco, MD

Office based procedures are not unusual

+2
First, it would be helpful to see your pictures.  You do not need to worry about an office based procedure as many surgeons do perform these.  If your surgeon has been doing this for 30 years, as you say, then he most likely knows what he is talking about.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Correcting asymmetry after BAM and Pexy

+2

First, I detect anger in your writing.  Try to look at the positives.  The doctor is stepping up and fixing the issue, and this CAN be fixed!  Secondly, a positive attitude will make this much easier for you to get through- really.

The answer is, yes it is reasonable.  In fact, everything you have said is reasonable, and I say that, not knowing your doctor.

I am glad you shared this with us, and let me explain.  In my opinion, it is best to use the same size implant wherever possible, because it is the diameter that changes with size, and this gets tricky to match as the implant size disparity gets bigger.  Better in my opinion to remove some breast tissue from the larger breast and size/shape it to the smaller side.

Now I can't explain why the nipples are off by an inch or why there is such a large disparity in size, that would be for your surgeon to answer to.  I would say however, that we are all human. There are many decisions, sutures, cuts, etc. that go into each operation, so there is ample opportunity for asymmetry to arise.  Additionally, the right side is never perfectly like the left, before or after surgery.  Asymmetry is due to the breast, the muscle, ribs, and even spine.

Finally, we can't control the healing process, and that contributes greatly to the final "product".  When you combine both the lift and an implant procedure all risks go up.

I am sorry that you have to go through an unplanned second operation.  I am however happy that the doctor is taking care of it, and it seems at this point that you will have a happy ending. 

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

In office breast lift revisions must be individualized.

+2

While it is possible to do minor revisions in an office settling, it would be impossible to know whether this would apply in your case without photos to show the level of disparity.  As a general rule if only skin is being removed, this can be numbed with local anesthesia and a revision accomplished.  However, there may be other issues to deal with making an in office revision less than optimal for you.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Correction of asymmetry after a breast lift and augmentation

+1

Symmetry is the curse of plastic surgery and even though the same operation is done on both sides they frequently heal like they are on two different people. You appear to have some nice improvement as you progress and it is possible that this will continue. You are at the 10  month period and it may be time for a reassessment and possible revision to center the nipple over the implant  and revise the mastopexy.  Possibly converting to a vertical type.

Breast Lift Revision in Office

+1

Breast lifts can definitely have minor revisions performed under local anesthesia in the office.  This will speed your recovery, allow you to drive yourself hhome and save you some money.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Revision surgery

+1

I assume your surgeon is going to do this in a fully accredited facility.  This can certainly be done in an office setting.

Breast Lift Revision and Size Disparity

+1

Placing two different implant sizes sounds like a great idea, but this inevitably results in two different breast shapes if more than 50 cc or so is the difference between the two volumes.  I do not see any reason why a revision breast lift could not be performed with local anesthesia and oral sedation.  This would depend upon the maneuvers employed and your specific needs.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Office revisions

+1

Without seeing you or a picture of you, it is hard to tell you specifically what would work best for you or whether an office setting is the best place to do it.  It is not unusual to do minor revisions in the office under local anesthesia.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD