Can I Keep Nuva Ring in for Breast Lift?

I am a healthy 36 yr old on Nuva Ring for Birth Control. At my Pre-op my Dr. said that I could keep my Nuva Ring in during my Breast Lift and Lipo. After reading about stopping Hormones before surgery, I am a bit worried now. Is this safe?

Nuva Ring and breast lift

+1

The safest and most conservative thing to do if you are willing is to take it out two weeks beforehand to prevent blood clots. 

Hormonal Birth Control and Surgery

+1

Greetings,

Every patient needs to be assessed for their risk related to deep vein thrombosis (clots) and pulmonary embolus.  There are many factors which contribute to this risk besides birth control hormones including (to mention a few) prior abdominal or pelvic surgeries, significant extremity injuries or surgeries, prior vein thrombosis (clots), and blood clotting disorders.

If your surgeon is concerned about your risks, deep vein thrombosis prophylaxis (low dose anti-coagulation) may be an option, as well.

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD, DMD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift and Liposuction and Birth Control Hormonal

+1

Any method of hormonal manipulation of birth control carries an increased risk for DVT and PE.   Performing multiple, lengthy procedures at once increases the risk.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Birth Control and Plastic Surgery

+1

If you were just getting a Breast Lift, then I would say that it would actually be okay to leave the ring in place.  However, if you are also undergoing liposuction then your risk increases for clotting issues.  As such, I would then remove the ring if that is easy to do.

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Birth Control and Plastic Surgery

+1

Dear Kateck.  Since a Nuva Ring can be easily inserted and removed, I would recommend going without at least two weeks before and after your surgery.  To further decrease the risk of blood clots after the surgery, be sure to ambulate regularly, wear stockings on your legs, stay hydrated, and finally discuss with your plastic surgeon the possible use of medications to further decrease your chances (i.e. Lovonox).  Good Luck

Robert Morgan Davoudi, MD

Nuva ring

+1

Hormone replacement products may increase your risk for blood clots but there are also a lot of other factors. If it is easily removed or stopped then i would do so

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Hormones and elective surgery

+1

My recommendation for cosmetic procedures is to stop hormone therapy.  It is clear that the Risk for blood clots are increased. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Hormone Replacement Therapy Increase Risk of Blood Clot

+1

Hormone replacement therapy such as the Nuva ring slightly increases your risk of a blood clot after any general anesthetic procedure.  SInce you are undergoing an elective cosmetic procedure, safety is paramount.  To be absolutely safe, stop using it two weeks before and two weeks after surgery and use an alternate form of contraception.  All the best.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Nuva ring and surgery

+1

It has been reported that clots in the leg increase with hormone therapy. Some surgeons do recommend stopping birth contro and the like before surgery for this reason. Best to ask your surgeon.

+1

The usual suggestion is to ask your surgeon.  Hormone replacement therapy is a risk factor for clotting and as such removing it for the cycle before your surgery will decrease your clotting risk. 

There are tables in which you can calculate your "Caprini score" which is a risk stratification.(Google it). Usually hormone treatment is one point, but that one point can raise your risk up a category and make it worth managing by removing the risk causing that one point. 

All the best.