Will Driving a Convertible/top Down Wrangler Negatively Effect my Nose Job?

I am 1 1/2 weeks post op and am planning on taking a little trip with my friend. She was wondering if we could put the top down on my wrangler but I just wanted to find out if the constant wind blowing on our faces could be too much so soon after surgery. (not sure if this is a stupid question lol) Thanks!

Sun and rhino

+1
In general, your nose has less natural protection from the sun right after rhinoplasty. All the tissue was just elevated off of the internal structure of the nose, including the bone and cartilage, and blood vessels were coagulated in order to do this. There fore we weakened the nose's natural defense since we weakened its blood supply. This blood supply grows back , but it can take quite a bit of time to happen. In the first 6 weeks, your nose is less naturally resistant to UV rays and is more likely to burn and get discolored. Also, since your nose is mostly numb early on, its less likely that you are to notice the problem until its too late. I recommend you stay out of the sun as much as possible in the first 6 weeks after surgery. If you are in the sun for short periods of time, stay in the shade, and wear a big hat and a good sunblock. Do not wear sun glasses in the first 6 weeks, or any glasses for that matter, if osteotomies were performed, (breaking of the nasal bones). You can get your nose wet as soon as the splint comes off, but I would be careful about chlorinated pools early on until the incision is fully healed an more mature, as the chlorine can irritate the incision. The gym and anything that increases you blood pressure will increase the swelling of your nose and delay your healing time. I recommend 6 weeks for this as well. Sometimes it can take longer for your skin to mature, even a year and more in some cases. I suggest that you wear sun block for at least a year every day while out in the sun.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Post rhinoplasty and wind and sun exposure

+1

In the first 1 to 2 weeks after a rhinoplasty your skin and nasal membranes will be quite sensitive.  Wind and sun exposure at this early stage could cause irritation, bleeding, or a healing problem.  My best advice is to be careful and keep the top up, especially at freeway speeds.  Best of luck.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Driving a Convertible 10 days after surgery

+1

I think that many times the inside of nose is sensitive in first week or ten days and if this sensitivity has settled and if it allows you to drive a convertible without being painful or sensitive perhaps you can.However its unique and a rare question and I can not be so sure about it.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Convertible after rhinoplasty

+1

The nose is going to be sensitive and the inside may not have completed the healing yet, but you should be extra careful because some part of your nose may still be numb and sensitive to the sun. If you put the top down and the nose became windburn, you would not feel it. Good sunscreen and good protection is key.

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

Convertible top down and rhinoplasty

+1

Really the only potential problem is the sun itself.  You probably need to wear a good sunblock as the nose may be very sensitive to burn.

Convertibles and nose job

+1

Generally speaking, you would want to avoid anything that might affect your surgery during the recovery period such contact sports. Driving a convertible is not. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Top Down

+1

Sun exposure may be an issue after your rhinoplasty!  Just don't go so fast that you blow your nose right off (just kidding).  Good Luck with healing.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will Driving a Convertible 10 days after surgery Negatively Effect my Nose Job?

+1

Interesting question. I don't think it should affect the results of your surgery. Potential problems that I can see are inhaling a lot of dust (not the best thing after the surgery), increased sun exposure, and possibly increase chance of something flying into your car and traumatizing the nose (very far fetched though). So, it should be ok to do this, however maybe better not to if this is not very essential to you.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD