How Long Will Bleeding Last After Drain Removal After Tummy Tuck?

My drains have been removed after my tummy tuck surgery, but one side is still bleeding. How long will this last?

Drain site bleeding

There should minimal to no bleeding after drain removal.  If there is bleeding after removal it usually stops before you leave the office that day.  If you are still having issues at that drain site advise your surgeon so that this can be addressed.

Dr. ES

2220 Wisteria Drive
Snellville, GA 30078

Tummy tuck healing

It would be unusual for bleeding after drain removal after a day or two. I would check with your plastic surgeon. Watch my video.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

1441 Avocado Ave
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Tummy Tuck Drainage

Only a few hours but if still bleeding return to the doctor for evaluation. This is not the norm after removal of drains. Be careful out there.

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Tummy Tuck Drainage

Once the drains are removed, in general the holes close up in 2-3 days and therefore will stop draining by then.  If drainage continues beyond this they it may be that there is more fluid building up, i.e. seroma.

Bleeding is not normal after drain removal.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

10861 Cherry Street
Los Alamitos, CA 90720

Drainage VS Bleeding after Tummy Tuck Drain Removal

Tummy Tuck drains are usually removed when the amount of fluid coming out drops to acceptable levels; those the body can usually absorb by itself. It is uncommon to have frank bleeding from these openings but is is common for blood tinged or yellowish (serous) fluid to drain for  few days. This can be easily managed by application of feminine panty liners to the openings. If your drainage is more significant or prolonged you should see your surgeon.

6401 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38119

Length and amount of drainage after pulling an abdominal drain following tummy tuck

The length drainage depends on whether it is due to bleeding at the wound edge or internally as well as the possibility of a persistent seroma. Discuss this with your surgeon.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Normal To Still Bleed After Drains Removed

It is not  unsual to stll have some bleeding after the drains have been removed.  It can take a few days to for that to stop, but usually does after a few days.  If it persists for more than a week, then I would discuss it with your surgeon.  I would apply antibiotic ointment twice a day to the drain areas, and they will close on there own.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

1602 Colonial Parkway
Inverness, IL 60067