How Long Will Bleeding Last After Drain Removal After Tummy Tuck?

My drains have been removed after my tummy tuck surgery, but one side is still bleeding. How long will this last?

Drain site bleeding

+3

There should minimal to no bleeding after drain removal.  If there is bleeding after removal it usually stops before you leave the office that day.  If you are still having issues at that drain site advise your surgeon so that this can be addressed.

Dr. ES

Drainage VS Bleeding after Tummy Tuck Drain Removal

+2

Tummy Tuck drains are usually removed when the amount of fluid coming out drops to acceptable levels; those the body can usually absorb by itself. It is uncommon to have frank bleeding from these openings but is is common for blood tinged or yellowish (serous) fluid to drain for  few days. This can be easily managed by application of feminine panty liners to the openings. If your drainage is more significant or prolonged you should see your surgeon.

Tummy tuck healing

+1

It would be unusual for bleeding after drain removal after a day or two. I would check with your plastic surgeon. Watch my video.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Drainage

+1

Only a few hours but if still bleeding return to the doctor for evaluation. This is not the norm after removal of drains. Be careful out there.

From MIAMI DR. B

Tummy Tuck Drainage

+1

Once the drains are removed, in general the holes close up in 2-3 days and therefore will stop draining by then.  If drainage continues beyond this they it may be that there is more fluid building up, i.e. seroma.

Bleeding is not normal after drain removal.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Length and amount of drainage after pulling an abdominal drain following tummy tuck

+1

The length drainage depends on whether it is due to bleeding at the wound edge or internally as well as the possibility of a persistent seroma. Discuss this with your surgeon.

Normal To Still Bleed After Drains Removed

+1

It is not  unsual to stll have some bleeding after the drains have been removed.  It can take a few days to for that to stop, but usually does after a few days.  If it persists for more than a week, then I would discuss it with your surgeon.  I would apply antibiotic ointment twice a day to the drain areas, and they will close on there own.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon