Stitch Poking out and Causing Soreness After Tummy Tuck

I'm at the 7 week mark since my tummy tuck and I have three different stitches that keep poking out. I have kept them trimmed. Anyways, on the one hip it's very sore and bruised feeling and I can still feel one poking out slightly but I can't get it trimmed flush to the skin - any suggestions?

Tummy tuck healing

+1

You should go back and have your plastic surgeon remove it. Watch my video. Sutures may pock through during the healing process and they are usually easily removed.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Managing a Tummy Tuck Incision Stitch that keeps Poking Out

+1

Occasionally the body may not tolerate one or a few stitches and they will come to the surface. Surgeons call them "spitting sutures". Exposed stitches never heal because they are perceived as a foreign body. Rather than trim them short, the best management is to painlessly remove them. The stitch wound then heals rapidly. I would consult with your surgeon before doing it.

"Spitting" Stitch after Tummy Tuck

+1

Most plastic surgeons use dissolving sutures just below the skin when closing tummy tuck incisions.  It is not uncommon for these sutures to develop a little microabcess around them and spit out as you describe.  Check with your surgeon who can probably help you with this problem.

John Whitt, MD

See your doctor

+1

Remember.  you paid a surgeon for the surgery - go back and see him and let him take care of your problem. The suture needs to be removed.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD