Dr Injected my Lips with Sculptra and Im Worried the Visable Lumps Are Permanent or Can Erupt into Something Worse Later On?

I asked my Dr for lip filler and he gave me some injections.... almost immediately after, I was like.. wow! they are big.... the swelling subsided a little but I was left with visable lumps (about 6 of them) around my upper and lower lips. I went back to show my lips and Dr was on long term leave, so I spoke with the nurse who looked at my notes and said that I had been injected with Sculptra and 13 months later, I still have the lumps although noticable still, not as bad. Are these permanent?

Sculptra nodules

+2

Sculptra nodules are a known side effect of this filler. It is minimized by diluting the filler and massaging the treated areas after injection. As long as the nodules appeared relatively soon after injection and are painless, they resolve over time (months usually). I would stick with hyaluronic acid fillers in the lips. 

Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Lumps in lips after Sculptra

+2

Lumps that develop after Sculptra injection are typically not permanent but they can last for a few years.  Sometimes there are treatments that can be done to reduce any visible bumps that develop.  If you are not able to return to the physician that treated you, I would recommend trying to find a doctor experienced in treating patients with Sculptra to see if there is anything that might be able to help.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra Results

+1

Thank you for your question. Sculptra is not indicated for they lips, and we do not inject lips with that product.  We only use HA products, Juvederm and Restylane.  I do not believe that is recommended by the company in even off label use. I know of no one doing that.  I hope this helps!

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Sculptra nodules

+1

Sculptra nodules will typically resolve on their own over time.  Juvederm and Restylane are better options for lip augmentation in this area.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Sculptra

+1

Over time, the nodules will break down and resolve.    It's better to use hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm, Restylane, and Belotero for the lips.  Sculptra should not be used in the lip area.

Sam Naficy, MD

Sculptra injected in the lips.

+1

Sculptra should not be injected in the lips.  On the positive side, the nodules will beakdown and resolve.  One may have injections of saline into each nodule to help break up the nodule.  I am glad you have witnessed the reabsorption of the nodules thus far.  It will continue and should return to baseline.  In the future,  I would recommend Restylane, Juvederm or Belotero in the lips.

Dr. Mizuguchi

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Sculptra is not a lip filler, Juvederm, Belotero or Restylane is better choice

+1

Almost certainly after getting Sculptra placed in the lips, you will get nodules.  They will last for months or years.  It is recommended not to place Sculptra close to the lips or eyes because this is a known complication.  The HA fillers are best for lip augmentation.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Do not inject Sculptra to the lips

+1

I would not advise injection Sculptra to the lips.  This material injected into muscle will make lumps. This is not a good use for this product. Stick to Juvederm or Restylane.