Is There a Benefit to Getting Sculptra when Young?

I am in my early 20's and am interested in getting Sculptra injections because my midface is very hollow and flat. I hear that Sculptra works by stimulating collagen. Out of curiosity, Will this prevent aging in the long run? Is there a particular benefit to starting at a young age aside from the immediate aesthetic results? Thank you.

Getting Sculptra when Young

+1

Thank you for your question. Aging is related to UV exposure and the level of protection you have, genetics, and various other factors.  Some can be controlled, others can't.  Sculptra will diminish the signs of aging from volume depletion, but not generate more collagen on the skin surface.  This is done with a CO2 laser or other semi-ablative fractional laser or other devices.  Use a retinoid, sunscreen are critical to keep the skin healthy as long as one can. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Having Sculptra when young

+1

There is no right age to have Sculptra as it stimulates collagen production.  So, there is no reason to do it preventatively if you have no volume loss. However if you do have some hollowness, it can be improved with Sculptra.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Is there a benefit to having Sculptra at a young age?

+1

You are correct, Sculptra does stimulate collagen growth. This is why it can take months to see the final result of your treatment. Starting at a young age may help prevent obvious signs of aging in the future. However, if there are no immediate issues that need attention, I may not advise early treatment. There are no other benefits to starting at a young age other than the immediate aesthetic results. In your case, since you have a hollow and flat midface as you describe, it may not hurt to have a treatment. In general, a good sculptra candidate will:

1) Have current issues that need improvement
2) Have realistic expectations of the final outcome

From here, I would recommend a consult with a board certified and experienced provider. They will be able to assess your needs in person and provide you with advice. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra is the ideal product to increase Facial Volume

+1

If your midface is hollow and flat, Sculptra is the ideal product for you.  Collagen does create new collagen.  Sculptra cannot prevent you from aging but can prevent you from looking older! The benefit from starting at a younger age is that your face will look fuller in the hollows that bother you.  Please find a board certified experienced dermatologist who does a great deal of cosmetic dermatology and injections for a consultation.

Michele S. Green, MD

Sculptra When Young

+1

Absolutely! When you are younger, you may not need the recommended 4 treatments because you are still producing your own collagen . The collagen that is produced from Sculptra is type 4 . This is the kind of collagen that is found in babies. Sculptra in younger patients can often help prolong and prevent wrinkles and facial aging.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Scluptra Injections When Young

+1

I like to use Sculptra to more naturally volumize the face, and commonly do use it for mid face atrophy and overall hallowness. Unfortunately nothing can really "prevent" aging if you will, as aging is something that is both intrinsically (ie: genetics) and extrinsically (ie: smoking, sun exposure) determined, but all of these treatments will help minimize the signs of aging.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra can be used no matter what your age!

+1

As stated by previous physicians, age should not be a limiting factor if you do indeed have volume loss or early signs of aging.  Sculptra is a wonderful product in the right hands.  It is used to help revolumize the face and while it will not stop the aging process, you can definitely slow it down by maintaining your volume.  I encourage you to schedule a consultation with an experienced Sculptra injector. 

Cheryl A. Hull, MD
Rogers Dermatologist

Sculptra injections

+1

Sculptra has many benefits in addition to volume restoration, and age does not have to be a limiting factor.  Sculptra can be used to augment and add symmetry to a face.  Beauty has been shown to be associated with a more symmetrical face.  I would recommend having a consultation with a skilled dermatologist or plastic surgeon to see if you would be a good candidate for Sculptra.  You can also post a photo, and I'm sure you would get some helpful recommendations.  There are many other options for young patients, including the hyaluronic acid fillers, if you are looking to fill out a hollow/flat midface.

Jordan C. Carqueville, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Sculptra and Aging

+1

You may have Sculptra now if you would like. It is a great filler for hollow places on the face. Unfortunately, it won't prevent aging but fuller cheeks do give a more youthful appearance. 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Restoring facial volume to maintain a youthful appearance

+1

Sculptra will not prevent aging, but it can help to maintain the volume in your face that gives the appearance of youth and attractiveness.  Especially for patients with negative vector (sunken in cheeks) Sculptra is terrific for restoring a fuller cheek contour.

Donald B. Yoo, MD