Can Sculptura Cause Autoimmune Diseases?

I am a 49 year old caucasian male, healthy, apart from the skin disease Vitiligo. Can Sculptura cause auto immune diseases or a worsening of Vitiligo ?. I want to have some in the submalar region, to fill in slight indentation,as I am thin naturally. Should it be diluted ?, how many vials would I need ?

Sculptra and Autoimmune Disease

+2

Personally, I would be hesitate to inject a patient with vitiligo since this is a known autoimmune disease. There is little documentation in the literature regarding Sculptra and autoimmune diseases so why take a chance. Not only would you run the increased risk of developing a granuloma ( the body's reaction to a foreign material), but it is possible you might trigger another autoimmune disorder such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. 

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Sculptra and Autoimmune Diseases?

+1

Thank you for your question. For small focused areas, this is not the product I use first.  I like to use HA or Radiesse and in some cases Artefill for this type of problem. I hope this helps!

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Can Sculptra cause an autoimmune disease?

+1

In general, Sculptra will not cause any autoimmune disease or worsening of Vitiligo. Typical side effects of Sculptra may include the following:

1) Lumps, or "nodules."
2) Redness or swelling at the injection site
3) Bruising

If you wish to have Sculptra in the submalar region and have no other issues, it would not be necessary to dilute it. The amount of vials you need can be determined by a board certified and experienced provider following an examination. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra & Autoimmune Disease

+1

There have been no reports that Sculptra causes autoimmune diseases, but I generally don't recommend Sculptra in patients who may have a connective tissue disease (which Vitiligo is not) or are on immunosuppressant medications (as they may interfere with the collagen production Sculptra induces). 

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Can Sculptra Cause Autoimmune Disease?

+1

There is no evidence that Sculptra can cause autoimmune disease.  There are rare cases of nodules forming in the areas where sculptra was injected years after the injection but this is very rare and it is not known why this occurs.  I have used Sculptra in patients with autoimmune disease and have not seen either any exacerbation of their disease or more complications.  These are typically patients who have tried other products, such as hyaluronic acid and were just not getting enough improvement so we used Sculptra without problem.

Rebecca L. Euwer, MD
Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon

Can Sculptra Cause Autoimmune Disease

+1

Hi Bronzie,

Sculptra does not cause autoimmune disease.  Personally I do not inject Sculptra in patients with known autoimmune disease for fear that there could be an exuberant response to the material.  

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Sculptra and autoimmune disease

+1

Sculptra is not known to cause autoimmune disease, but if you have any concerns at all, why not consider having a fat transfer to the area that is causing problems instead?

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Scuptra does not cause autoimmune disease

+1

Sculptra or injectable polylactic acid is not known to cause autoimmune disease but is contraindicated in those patients who already have an autoimmune disease. You can probably get nice results for midface volumizing with only 1 vial with 2 or 3 sessions at least 6 weeks apart. An 8:1 or 9:1 dilution is appropriate. Be sure to massage the area frequently afterwards for at least 5 days, and be patient. Serial photos will help to document your progress.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon