Longevity of Results Affected by Number of Sculptra Injections?

I am getting my second Sculptra injection next week. I have only minimal hollowness and don't want much change. I've read some doctors who say that it takes 3 injections to solidify the longevity of 25 + months, others say any amount will last roughly that long, that it's the end result that determines the number of injections. Does it require 3 to have lasting results?

Fill until you achieve the look you want.

+2

Sculptra is a wonderful filler.  The younger you are, the less product you need.  The older you are, the more product you need.  I would worry less about the duration of the result as opposed to getting the right shape and contour.  Then you and your physician could decide on maintenance treatments to maintain the result.

Longevity of Sculptra

+2

In the PLLA studies, patients who showed improvement past 24+ months typically had 3-5 vials, which is why doctors typically say that is how many it takes to maintain those results. I typically inject the amount needed, whether it is 2-4 vials, 1 vial per month, until correction is achieved, and then wait 6 months to do the subsequent vial, and maintain those results by doing roughly 1 vial a year.  Good luck.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Longevity of the effects of Sculptra unrelated to number of injections

+2

Sculptra injections stimulate your body to produce collagen at the injected sites and thereby increase the volume of the site.  As a general rule, older patients require more sculptra to effect a similar result in a younger patient.  The favorable effects last for about two years whether one vial or eight vials produced the desired effect.  Hope this helped.

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Longevity of Sculptra results

+2

Every person is different, so some people may require more Sculptra and more treatments than others.  I would say that there are some people who can achieve a good result with only two treatments, so I would not say that you necessarily need to have three treatments.  I evaluate patients after each treatment to determine whether another treatment is needed or not.  Whenever the final result is achieved, whether it is with two treatments or six treatments, that result should be maintained for two to four years.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra

+2

The amount of Sculptra that is injected should be used to give good volume correction.  With Sculptra, the goal is to aim for full volume correction.  Results should last 2-3 years. 

Sam Naficy, MD

Longevity of Sculptra

+2

Sculptra will last the same regardless of the number of injection sessions. The number if sessions is based on the amount if volume needed. Sculptra should last about two years with a touch-up usually at around 1 year. 

Asaad H. Samra, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

How to choose the number of Sculptra injections

+2

Sculptra treatment causes an increase in volume that is extremely gradual, starting 3 months after the first injection and achieving a maximum effect at approximately 5 to 6 months post injection. This is true for each injection that you receive. The number of Sculptra treatments should be based on the amount of volume needed for correction, not really to increase the longevity. You can always go slowly, wait to assess the results, and then add more if you feel it is necessary.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra Results

+1

Thank you for your question. The recommendation is 1 vial per decade of life.  That applies to most cases, but not all.  You can stop at two, and wait 2-3-6-9 months and see if there is a change you want corrected.  The response is individual so you will need to make your own judgment and decision.  Guidelines are general, and apply to most, not all people. I hope this helps!

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Number of Scuptra Treatments

+1

The number of Sculptra vials injected to achieve optimal results needs to be individualized.  Some patients will be satisfied with 3 vials whereas, others may require 6-8 treatments to achieve optimal results.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Does it require three treatment sessions to have long lasting results with Sculptra?

+1

Sculptra comes in vials which are then reconstituted with sterile water and lidocaine.  The number of vials that need to be injected depends on the amount of hollowness or atrophy that you are trying to correct,  Because some patients have a considerable amount of atrophy it may take a total of four vials.  However, you can not inject four vials in to the face at once because of risk of nodules.  Furthermore, from experience, we know that spreading out the vials over time, for example two in the first treatment session, wait one month and then inject one vial, wait another month and then a third vial gives a nice gradual build up of collagen that peaks around 8 months and lasts at least two years from the first treatment.  However, if you have minimal atrophy, you may only need two vials, so you could have your first treatment with one vial and your second treatment a month later with one vial  and not need a third treatment.  So in answer to your question, no, you do not always need three treatments to have lasting results especially if you are not that bad to begin with.

Rebecca L. Euwer, MD
Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon