Type of Doctor I Should Go to for Diastasis Rectus Repair?

My stomach muscles split after 5 births. I need to have it repaired, but I am not sure what type of doctor to see first. Should I see my primary care doctor, my ob/gyn, or a specialist?

Physician for diastasis repair

+1
Most diastasis repairs in my area are performed by plastic surgeons because patients want not only the repair but also removal of excess abdominal skin and muscle tightening. This constitutes an abdominoplasty. In the past few years, insurers have stopped paying for diastasis repair unless a true hernia can be appreciated on an MRI, so the operation is considered cosmetic and is not a covered service.

Diastasis repair with tummy tuck

+1

SEE VIDEO BELOW FOR DIASTASIS REPAIR

This varies depending on geographic area but in this region, most diastasis repairs are carried out by plastic surgeons. Discuss this with your primary care physician and ask for a referral to a respected surgeon in your area.

Diastasis repair as part of a tummy tuck or with the endoscope

+1

A board certified plasic surgeon would be the right specialist to see for your diastasis recti. This is mostly done as part of a tummy tuck. If not skin excess is present and only the diastasis, an endoscopic procedure could be performed to suture the muscle fascia with a small incision in th pubic area. Best of luck!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Diastasis recti.

+1

Hi!

1)  Go see a board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will confirm your diastasis.

2)  An experienced plastic surgeon is the person to correct your diastasis recti (as part of a tummy tuck).

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Type of doctor for diastasis rectus repair

+1

Depends on what you want to have done.

If you want to get the muscles together. period. A general surgeon would do.

If you want to bring the muscles together, remove loose skin, flatten the tummy and narrow the waist, lift the mons pubis and possibly smooth any anterior thigh cellulite -you should see a Board certified Plastic surgeon and have a full or high-lateral tension abdominoplasty.

Good Luck.

A Plastic Surgeon Can Repair Diastasis Recti

+1

Repair of separated muscles after childbirth is a routine part of tummy tuck procedures.  If you have a true hernia, a plastic surgeon trained in general surgery, or a team approach may be needed.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Doctor to repair diastasis

+1

Plastic surgeons traditionally repair the diastasis when performing a tummy tuck. I recommend that you seek consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon for an examination and review of your surgical options.

Michael Diaz, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon